Google To Introduce Its Voice-Activated Home Device

HardOCP News

[H] News
If this New York Times article is to be believed, Google's Echo competitor will be called “Google Home.” How many of you have entertained the idea of getting something like this? I could see the novelty of a device like this wearing off pretty quick.

Google will introduce its much-anticipated entry into the voice-activated home device market on Wednesday, according to people who spoke on the condition of anonymity. Named Google Home, the device is a virtual agent that answers simple questions and carries out basic tasks. It is to be announced at Google’s annual developers’ conference in Silicon Valley.

voice commanding lights has been a nice feature, mainly when carrying things or laying in bed and phone is out of reach. i have on occasion used voice to play some music but the novelty of all the things it can do wore off quickly, the utility of it continues on but it is a bit more specific.

The novelty will carry on much longer once I can set the command name/word of these products (yes I know I can build something with a pc but Im lazy) because it will be more fun plus it will add a simple layer of security, because honestly if I go to your house and know you have an echo or google home, I am going to annoy you :D

I like the voice command / smart home type thing.

It would be better if this was a panel that integrated into the house electrical so it actually could control things rather than a knob that sits on a table top.

I love the promise behind these devices and systems, but I (like many I assume) aren't sold on the utility and certainly not enough to warrant the implicit invasion of privacy. Further, and just as important, let's assume that your whole home is wired to use such a device as a 'command console'- would you trust the security of your home and family to such a solution?

It would be better if this was a panel that integrated into the house electrical so it actually could control things rather than a knob that sits on a table top.

my good friend uses Insteon in his home. This replaces normal outlets and switches with its own and you host your own control server locally so you don't ping the cloud to command your home. Take a look.

I don't need Google's always listening, always transcribing, bug in my home. On issues of privacy, Google is the last company I would trust.

Am I the only one who instantly thought of Back to the Future: Part II? Everything was voice controlled by 2015 in that movie. Guess we are behind the times?

my good friend uses Insteon in his home. This replaces normal outlets and switches with its own and you host your own control server locally so you don't ping the cloud to command your home. Take a look.

Hmm, pretty cool. There is a lot of 3rd party support for it also including Amazon Echo.

You can integrate them with Vera, Homeseer, or other hubs. It's a piecemeal type of thing, but it works with a lot of little hacks and integration scripts.

The trolling potential here is great. I would probably get endless hours of entertainment trolling my sons...

I just installed a couple Nest CO/smoke alarms. I didn't choose them for the internet connectivity, but because most the other ones out there are junk.

Having some work done on the house, and to pass the permit, I had to update the CO/Smoke alarms to the latest requirements. That meant a CO/Smoke alarm on each floor, and a smoke alarm in each bedroom. Since the house is older and not wired for smoke alarms, I needed battery operated ones.
In California, all new battery powered smoke alarms must come with a sealed 10 year battery (non replaceable). Based on the reviews, the batteries rarely last half that long. The units are also prone to false alarms, and there is no way to stop the alarm or reset it, since you can't pull the battery. You have to permanently disable the unit or smash it with a hammer.

The battery powered Nest alarm (with replaceable AA batteries) is allowed to be sold in California since it can network with multiple units. It's also a better alarm (version 2) that is much less prone to false alarms. The smart phone connection is nice, since it will let you know the battery is running low instead of waking you up when it starts beeping at 3am.

Does raise a question though.
What happens when you are out of town and you get an alert the smoke alarm is going off?
Do you dial 911 and ask them to send the fire department over to check the house?

Last edited:
Everything was voice controlled by 2015 in that movie. Guess we are behind the times?
Just a little, I actually do some home automation for work (Crestron/AMX/etc...) and have seen this in some of the more expensive (multi-millionaire) homes

We use the Echo every day. As a kitchen timer, weather, tracking MLB scores and the list goes on and on. Wish it could translate in real time. Maybe the always listening, always watching Google device will do this. Careful what you say at home in any language! Even Klingon.

I have two amazon Echo's in the house. They do not wear thin fast. They are quite useful.

The bargain of the bunch is the Echo Dot. Well under $100, does everything the full size echo does, but has a smaller speaker and, finally, a stereo out jack. Connect to a nice set of powered speakers, and it's one hell of a setup for the kitchen, garage, bedroom, etc...

"Alexa - Play my stuff" :)

Back