Google SVP Suggests Carriers Are Stalling RCS Rollout In The U.S.

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
https://www.forbes.com/sites/johanm...stalling-rcs-rollout-in-the-u-s/#1c6fa42317e1

This is weird, so Android will never get a good alternative to iMessage?

"Other carriers, like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T, have been slow in rolling out RCS support. T-Mobile and Verizon both support the universal RCS profile on select devices, while AT&T has no devices that are compatible with the standard at all."

So ATT needs a specially made phone to be compatible with RCS ? LOL WTF kind of response is that ATT? BS

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johanm...stalling-rcs-rollout-in-the-u-s/#1c6fa42317e1

This is weird, so Android will never get a good alternative to iMessage?

"Other carriers, like Verizon, T-Mobile and AT&T, have been slow in rolling out RCS support. T-Mobile and Verizon both support the universal RCS profile on select devices, while AT&T has no devices that are compatible with the standard at all."

So ATT needs a specially made phone to be compatible with RCS ? LOL WTF kind of response is that ATT? BS

Google has been doing an end-run of sorts around this in Europe using peer-to-peer handshakes ("do you support RCS? Okay, good!"), but I don't know how well that'll work in the US.

I can't help but feel like this is a classic example of why Apple does so many things itself instead of trusting third-party formats... if you put all your trust in other companies, don't be surprised if those other companies leave you hanging.

Google has been doing an end-run of sorts around this in Europe using peer-to-peer handshakes ("do you support RCS? Okay, good!"), but I don't know how well that'll work in the US.

I can't help but feel like this is a classic example of why Apple does so many things itself instead of trusting third-party formats... if you put all your trust in other companies, don't be surprised if those other companies leave you hanging.

People can hate Apple and iPhones all they want, but at the end of the day its things like this that keep people in their ecosystem. Its the same thing with updates and bloatware.

People can hate Apple and iPhones all they want, but at the end of the day its things like this that keep people in their ecosystem. Its the same thing with updates and bloatware.

It's the idea of being 'kept' in their ecosystem that keeps me out ;)

Same here, but this is a situation where it is a clear advantage to have your own proprietary software and services that is controlled by a single entity.

You have to wonder why Google couldn't just create their own message platform with end-to-end encryption support and also SMS-fallback to mirror iMessage's feature set, instead of creating this solution that relies on carriers (around the world) to support it despite their own messaging agendas and red tape involved and invariably gets delayed indefinitely because of all that AND it still isn't even protected with end-to-end encryption! But Google is infamous for horrible execution all around, esp. when it comes to any sort of messaging standard.

Eh, it's easier to avoid being locked in than you think. But I also think the fight against lock-in is somewhat overblown... tech is supposed to make your life easier, and Apple's ecosystem does the job for me. I like getting text messages on my Mac without having to depend on some workaround app or browser tool, for instance.

I'm interested in what you use then since keeping you in their ecosystem is Googles entire business model.

Could use anything not Apple, and I can unplug from Google easier than I could ever unplug from Apple.

You have to wonder why Google couldn't just create their own message platform with end-to-end encryption support and also SMS-fallback to mirror iMessage's feature set, instead of creating this solution that relies on carriers (around the world) to support it despite their own messaging agendas and red tape involved and invariably gets delayed indefinitely because of all that AND it still isn't even protected with end-to-end encryption! But Google is infamous for horrible execution all around, esp. when it comes to any sort of messaging standard.

I generally don't send text messages. It's either email or a social media IM.

Eh, it's easier to avoid being locked in than you think. But I also think the fight against lock-in is somewhat overblown... tech is supposed to make your life easier, and Apple's ecosystem does the job for me. I like getting text messages on my Mac without having to depend on some workaround app or browser tool, for instance.

I get that- and I recommend Apple to most everyone with respect to communication and basic computing devices if the budget is there. Plenty of family quite happily use their products.

Could use anything not Apple, and I can unplug from Google easier than I could ever unplug from Apple.

You are lucky. Between my gmail account that I've had since beta, youtube, and maps, I am in a much deeper pit with Google than I will ever be with Apple. If I went back to Android, I'd be out iMessage. Thats all.

I have so many more things tied to Google than any other ecosystem. Followed by Amazon. Then Facebook/WhatsApp. Then Apple. Then Microsoft. Heck, I got more stuff on Google than the following listed combined.

I have so many more things tied to Google than any other ecosystem. Followed by Amazon. Then Facebook/WhatsApp. Then Apple. Then Microsoft. Heck, I got more stuff on Google than the following listed combined.

I'm the same way. Ive had fits where I've tried to "de-google" myself. I realized it was futile when I got down to my gmail account and youtube. Youtube is my main source of entertainment and theres rarely a day that goes by where I don't watch at least an hour. I dont watch TV really any more unless its College Football season. I've had my Gmail account since beta and am the kind of person who archives my email instead of deleting it. I have almost every email thats ever been sent or received in that account still. I even use it as a TO-DO list of sorts as things come in that I need to take care of. I tried switching to other carriers but its just not the same, and not having access to all my old email is just a deal breaker. I've made the switch to Android a few times and loved it but just had a hard time staying without imessage. A lot of that comes from the fact that my family is extremely active with texting and they all have iphones. They all send pictures and videos, do huge group texts, and its really the way we keep in touch. Telling them all to switch apps or services just because I decided to switch just isn't an option. If RCS worked the way it was supposed to, it would be a non-factor.

A lot of that comes from the fact that my family is extremely active with texting and they all have iphones. They all send pictures and videos, do huge group texts, and its really the way we keep in touch.

We just use Facebook for that...

I'm the same way. Ive had fits where I've tried to "de-google" myself. I realized it was futile when I got down to my gmail account and youtube. Youtube is my main source of entertainment and theres rarely a day that goes by where I don't watch at least an hour. I dont watch TV really any more unless its College Football season. I've had my Gmail account since beta and am the kind of person who archives my email instead of deleting it. I have almost every email thats ever been sent or received in that account still. I even use it as a TO-DO list of sorts as things come in that I need to take care of. I tried switching to other carriers but its just not the same, and not having access to all my old email is just a deal breaker. I've made the switch to Android a few times and loved it but just had a hard time staying without imessage. A lot of that comes from the fact that my family is extremely active with texting and they all have iphones. They all send pictures and videos, do huge group texts, and its really the way we keep in touch. Telling them all to switch apps or services just because I decided to switch just isn't an option. If RCS worked the way it was supposed to, it would be a non-factor.
I'm just saying people talking about being locked into an ecosystem. I've quit Android for 3 or 4 years now (don't make me think; it's too early!), but I'm still locked into Google. So quitting Apple is far easier. Calling out IdiotInCharge's BS.

Last edited:
So quitting Apple is far easier.

Agreed. I have an iPhone and android as daily cell phones, and before I got my iPhone 7 (now the XS), I was an android die-hard since... Android 1.5? in October it will be 10 years. I just looked it up.

I can give up Apple a LOT easier than Google, and I'm actively trying to ditch google. Recently looked into buying a domain name and looked into cheap exchange hosting and everything.

Back