Google Seeks New Disks For Data Centers

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google doesn't believe that current hard drive offerings are ideal for cloud-based storage. For this purpose, the company hopes for new disk technologies that prioritize collection, rather than capacity or performance.

The rise of cloud-based storage means that most (spinning) hard disks will be deployed primarily as part of large storage services housed in data centers. Such services are already the fastest growing market for disks and will be the majority market in the near future. For example, for YouTube alone, users upload over 400 hours of video every minute, which at one gigabyte per hour requires more than one petabyte (1M GB) of new storage every day or about 100x the Library of Congress. As shown in the graph, this continues to grow exponentially, with a 10x increase every five years.

O________o holy shit. Wasn't there also a statistic that something like 90+% of youtube videos would have less than 10 views or similar...

Makes me wonder, would there be a way to use it to transfer data via videos.... that'd piss 'em off.

I upload 12 ~ 14 gigs a week to youtube with an average video length of 1 hour and an average viewing of 30. I really need to clean up the channel and group things but my big beef with youtube is volume throttling. Some videos get hammered between 40 ~ 90% so this makes a ton of extra work.
I'm no video or sound engineer and don't know the sweet spot settings or best tools to use but I'm getting by.

More than a petabyte a day! That's crazy.

I know, I saw that too, that is straight up mind boggling. I mean they must literally have an army of people just installing more drives all the time!

Back