Google’s Audio CAPTCHA Defeated by Software

Terry Olaes

I Used to be the [H] News Guy
A company recently announced that they have developed software that can defeat the audio CAPTCHA used by Google during verification. The audio CAPTCHA is intended for the visually-impaired or users that just cannot discern the letter/number sequence from the CAPTCHA image. Image CAPTCHAs have already been defeated by software and is believed to account for the increase in spam from webmail accounts.

Even though Wintercore have declined to release their tool, the increasing awareness of the capabilities described should see competing tools emerge in the near future.

I honestly don't understand how spammers can make money...... o well my yahoo e-mail account is getting hammered... yet

am I the only one that is genuinely amazed at how these guys can defeat this stuff? Speaking as a fledgling programmer myself, I am at a loss to understand just how skilled these hackers are....

amazing really.... if only they would collectively focus their work towards achieving good.....

What's amazing about it?

Voice recognition technology has been around awhile.

well first off, voice recognition tech in general is amazing

second, for hackers to create their own tech on their own is also very amazing.... and to have it *work well* on these captchas is even more amazing.....

Man, why do they keep cracking these CAPTCHA's? Every new CAPTCHA scheme to dodge the hackers is more and more annoying. Has anyone had the pleasure of dealing with Rapidshare's new "find the cat" CAPTCHA? That's the most annoying thing ever. :rolleyes:

It wouldn't surprise me if someone's already cracked Rapidshare's CAPTCHA. Most of the time I can't even figure the damn things out, or I think I've figured it out but I end up giving the wrong answer.

Man, why do they keep cracking these CAPTCHA's? Every new CAPTCHA scheme to dodge the hackers is more and more annoying. Has anyone had the pleasure of dealing with Rapidshare's new "find the cat" CAPTCHA? That's the most annoying thing ever. :rolleyes:

O god !! I hate that one the most ! I am trying to downlaod a video clip from CBS news form the 60's,and I can get it done because of those damn cats !!!!!!!!! :mad:

I am on my 30th try or so now !.....

thank goodness they set up that happy hour thing otherwise it'd be too ridiculous

Moola is doing the cat/dog captcha. Can we get a better name than captcha, I always mispell it. I have had a couple of board signups do multiple captchas, the visual one with the letters and numbers and an arithmetic question.

My favorite "captchas" are the ones that say to click a certain picture, for instance "click the squirrel."

Back