Google Project Fi Details

Google won't be saving any money paying for the processing fees required to issue refunds.

So, you people pay less than $20 a month for your phone / data plan?
Where do you get that low of a price? I would LOVE to play $20 a month....

I pay $180 per month for 4 phones and unlimited everything on T-Mobile. My 2 teenagers regularly use 10-20GB of data a month each.

The Google project isn't cheap... IMO of course.

I love this idea and it provides me with an even greater opportunity to lever my positions on TMUS because I've been thinking for a while on Sprint now too.

Project Fi can use both Tmo and Sprint towers simultaneously if I am correctly reading the website so you basically get the best of both worlds in terms of coverage. This has fantastic implications for google to build its customer base before SpaceX launches its WIFI satellites and blankets the entire earth with internet.

Wow I would sign up in a heart beat if this was in Canada. We get bent over backwards here. Wow that is cheap. With that much data I could use the phone for everything, watch netflix once in a while etc.

90$ here buys you unlimited calling in Canada. Free txt message (only in canada, its massive to txr to the states like i think 70 cents a text. )
and I get 1.5gb data a month.

I would love to have this plan on my existing phone, but I wouldn't want to buy a nexus 6 for this. I'm happy with T-Mobile's $30 unlimited text/data + 100 minute plan. However, I'm usually in wifi range, so I only use data when I'm using google maps or looking up coupon codes for retail stores. So with Google's plan I'd get unlimited talk and pay about $22/month. I don't see them supporting other phones for a long time though, to increase nexus sales.

Too bad neither Sprint or T-Mobile are in my area. I knew it was too good to be true. :)

Guess I'm stuck paying Verizon $100 a month for unlimited talk and 1GB of data.

Sprint's coverage isn't great...and T-Mobile's is worse.

Depends on where you live and travel. Plus T-Mobile has improved their coverage over the past few years.

Couple years ago, the wife had a prepaid plan on Sprint & I had T-Mobile. There where many times when traveling that I had coverage she didn't. Don't remember any time when the opposite was true (she had coverage but I didn't).
Based on my experience traveling around in the Western US I'd have to rate T-Mobile much better.

If any of you live in a large city, just check out craigslist.

There are always guys selling 90 day unlimited talk, text and data service for $45 - $50 bucks.

This is legal ( grey area ) corporate block numbers that they issue to you. These accounts come and go along with the numbers but I've never been ripped off. I use a google voice number anyways as my main number and that number can follow you where ever you go.

BTW if you don't have a Google Voice number, you're missing out ... it's free and awesome.

ALSO, MetroPCS has a new $30 a month plan, fees and taxes included. unlimited text, talk, maybe 1GB of data or it could be 3GB of data but you're limited to 4G. Plus, you have to buy the phone through them. But it sounds like a good plan.

Also, Solavei, an MVNO reseller ( T-Mobile ) has some o-k deals - http://www.solavei.com/en/mobile-service/plan-details

I actually got excited about this for a minute, until I looked at their coverage map..I live outside Ocean City MD in a development ~11K people with house prices ranging from $230K (if you want something larger then a shoebox) to 3+ MILLION...

TMo is happy to cover 3/4th of my street with "4G" not LTE, but the end I live on is SOL..Driving up US 113 for the hour commute I make several times a week to Dover, DE I go from No data/2G/3G/4G/LTE...I mean seriously?

On Big Assraper, I mean Verizon, I can stream my Spotify on Extreme Quality and NEVER have it buffer, even during peak times despite the measured down speed not being more then 3~5Mb on LTE..

I will give T-Mo this they have the entire Island of OC locked down with fantastic speeds and coverage, and this in a city that goes from 8K yearly residents to over 375K on the peak summer weekends..

/rant off...

This Google Fi needs more time before I make any sort of decision on it..

Too bad neither Sprint or T-Mobile are in my area. I knew it was too good to be true. :)

Guess I'm stuck paying Verizon $100 a month for unlimited talk and 1GB of data.

You are getting shafted. Two phones, 10GB data, unlimited talk + text is $110 for us.

Staying with the $30 T-Mo plan. Fi may have been worth it I didn't use a lot of data most months and could benefit from the added Sprint coverage *shrug*

No thanks, data pricing is terrible for an MVNO and its not even on good networks plus Google will probably milk the fuck out of any usage info they can. ATT & Co will look like valiant defenders of personal info next to these guys.

Nexus 6 only?!?

USA only....

I really hate Canada for are stupid monopoly protection crap. I know I will never see Google internet, and I for sure wont see Google cell service....

Cuz it would DESTROY the stupid services we have here...

I've signed up for an invite. I'm curious to see some reviews of the service in action as well as trial it. If it's close to being decent I'm dropping Verizon like a bad habit. I'm voting with my wallet, as much as Google will let me.

BRING FIBER! I've got friends in Raleigh who will ditch TWC for Google once it comes even if TWC can compete on pricing. They're doing it to make a point.

i get 10 gigs for 55 bux a month using cricket. I get with google you only pay for the data you actually USE but i average 5 gigs and that would be 70 bux, which is still more expensive. Also cricket also charges 10 bux for an additional gig if i go over 10 so its just not worth it to me

No thanks, data pricing is terrible for an MVNO and its not even on good networks plus Google will probably milk the fuck out of any usage info they can. ATT & Co will look like valiant defenders of personal info next to these guys.

agree with you on the pricing but the tmobile/sprint combo makes alot of sense. Tmobiles coverage in urban areas is a great and its faster then everyone else on average, but they are absolute SHIT outisde urban areas. Which is where sprint could pick up the work. Still i use cricket which uses ATT towers and i'm happy with that and its cheaper.

OJAiVbO.png

Looks like I'll be sticking with what I have. I don't know how people can keep their usage so low. Do most people have a wifi network at work that they connect too? I have broadband at home provided by comcast, so my usage is all from my time away from home. I work with a couple of people that use 3x as much data as I do a month.

OJAiVbO.png

Looks like I'll be sticking with what I have. I don't know how people can keep their usage so low. Do most people have a wifi network at work that they connect too? I have broadband at home provided by comcast, so my usage is all from my time away from home. I work with a couple of people that use 3x as much data as I do a month.

I used to use 20+ gigs a month, now i dont. I dont use wifi but to update my apps. As i've grown older I've become less engaged by my phone. I'm to busy doing stuff to spend time watching videos and the like. Besides most the videos are terrible.

I have the option where I can get unlimited everything where I live from MTS (used to be a public telco for Manitoba) for 90 bucks a month. Of course they hamstring it with a "fair use policy" that throttles you down to 128kbps if you go over 15GB.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if Google came here, I am predicting a massive slide over just for the name brand alone.

Jesus Christ people it's very VERY obvious this is focused at people who don't use much data, not for the average [H] user.

for those of us that pay for 2 lines... this is kind of meh.. But, I wouldn't mind a Nexus 6...

I'm currently on Tmob paying $96mo for 2 lines with me getting 3GB and her getting 1GB of data (she sits on wifi all day), and this includes roll-over-data. So, what I pay for still gets saved, so paying for what I use is basically the same to me. Because, we've all had that one crazy month that went over. Trust me it'll get used...

But, doing the math, Google Fi would be $40 (2 Lines) + $10 (1GB) + $30 (3GB) = $80mo Difference of $16. AND, I would have to shell out big money for 2 Nexus 6 phones, (which I could get for cheap right now on TMob), it would take a long time to see the benifits of the lower price.

This isn't THAT much of a deal... Frankly I would like to be able to contact TMobs support and get help with my bill and what-not from them. I've always had good service. I hear Google's phone support for anything is a joke. So, that alone might be worth it. Peace of mind is worth a lot these days for me.

Horrible price for data. I get unlimited with Tmobile for $20. Dont see how this is competitive.

uh...that looks freaking great, what am I missing?

It looks freaking horrible. Ridiculous prices. The only good thing is no roaming prices as far as I understand but that hardly matters to me at all.

for those of us that pay for 2 lines... this is kind of meh.. But, I wouldn't mind a Nexus 6...

I'm currently on Tmob paying $96mo for 2 lines with me getting 3GB and her getting 1GB of data (she sits on wifi all day), and this includes roll-over-data. So, what I pay for still gets saved, so paying for what I use is basically the same to me. Because, we've all had that one crazy month that went over. Trust me it'll get used...

But, doing the math, Google Fi would be $40 (2 Lines) + $10 (1GB) + $30 (3GB) = $80mo Difference of $16. AND, I would have to shell out big money for 2 Nexus 6 phones, (which I could get for cheap right now on TMob), it would take a long time to see the benifits of the lower price.

This isn't THAT much of a deal... Frankly I would like to be able to contact TMobs support and get help with my bill and what-not from them. I've always had good service. I hear Google's phone support for anything is a joke. So, that alone might be worth it. Peace of mind is worth a lot these days for me.

Your $96 figure probably includes taxes and fees....which the $80 figure doesn't. So odds are they'd end up being an absolute wash.

Horrible price for data. I get unlimited with Tmobile for $20. Dont see how this is competitive.

This isn't competitive with people's various old or special rate plans, nothing is going to be. They need to be competitive with what is currently on the market, not competitive with plans that people signed up for three years ago after giving a TMo employee a rim job.

This isn't competitive with people's various old or special rate plans, nothing is going to be. They need to be competitive with what is currently on the market, not competitive with plans that people signed up for three years ago after giving a TMo employee a rim job.

Tmobile has an unlimited plan for $30, I was able to lock in on $20 before they changed their pricing roughly 6 months ago.

So try again. $30 for unlimited vs $30 3GB plan. HORRIBLE.

Spoiled rotten they are lol...:p

Seriously though, regular jerks like myself on vzw, wife and I, 25 per phone a month, 40 for a shared 2gb that we never go over, some associated taxes and it's a hundred bucks a month.
Google would be 20 to 40 a month cheaper for both of us depending on data use. If she'd use a N6, which she will not. Not happening anytime soon for me but I have a close eye on it for later.

Tmobile has an unlimited plan for $30, I was able to lock in on $20 before they changed their pricing roughly 6 months ago.

So try again. $30 for unlimited vs $30 3GB plan. HORRIBLE.

For you, perhaps, but for the many others getting raped by Verizon because using Sprint OR T-Mobile is not an option depending on where they are... it's pretty damn good.

Currently on a Verizon family plan with 4 phones, three smart and one dumb. All unlimited talk and text but 2GB data shared between the 3 smartphones.

Total cost per month? $210.

Putting the three smartphones on this Google plan, which would now be feasible since it's BOTH Sprint and T-Mobile providing coverage and not just one or the other, would be $90/mo for the exact same use.

Also, your $30 plan has 100 minutes. Absolutely not practical for people with, y'know... families.

Your $96 figure probably includes taxes and fees....which the $80 figure doesn't. So odds are they'd end up being an absolute wash.

You're absolutly correct. My numbers from TMob do include the taxes and fees. But, I havn't heard about Googles Fees and shit, So i couldn't include them, But something tells me they would be a thing. So, yeah. Lets call in ~$85 from Google, then it becomes ~$11mo difference. Which is just not worth the hassle of switching, and learning new BS, and not to mention buy a whole new fricken phone.

If I was someone that didn't have a phone or a plan tied to, and was in the market for a Nexus 6, then this would be something I might consider. Outside of that, there is no reason to switch.

OJAiVbO.png

Holy shit...what are you actually doing on your phone? Streaming movies twice a day? :eek:

I rarely hit 3-4...

Well technically you can get MetroPCS unlimited for $30, you get 1GB of 4G speeds, then unlimited 3G speeds after that. Since Metro uses TMobile towers (and Tmobile owns them) wouldn't surprise me if they have a similar special somewhere. Although locking in a rate for $20? How long ago he get on that?

I have Metro, and I have unlimited 4G LTE data for $50 a month (well $45 a month because my wife is also on it and there's a discount)

The $80 plan for a single line is unlimited, taking into account you have your own phone. Yes its more expensive than Googles offering at $20 unlimited talk+text, but if you need data youll be paying out the ass for it with googles plan.

So for example for the same price with google youd get 6GB of data. For me its not enough since I stream music while driving.

You save with TMobile the more lines you have. Individual plans are always more.

The $80 plan for a single line is unlimited, taking into account you have your own phone. Yes its more expensive than Googles offering at $20 unlimited talk+text, but if you need data youll be paying out the ass for it with googles plan.

So for example for the same price with google youd get 6GB of data. For me its not enough since I stream music while driving.

You save with TMobile the more lines you have. Individual plans are always more.

Hold on did you just got from saying TMo had a $30 unlimited plan (that you are paying $20 for) to saying it is $80?

I really applaud Google's idea behind Project Fi. I love my 64 GB Nexus 6 (Moto Direct) on VZW. If I was not grandfathered and could curb my data usages - I'd be all over this.

I applied for the Beta because Fi would be perfect for all four of my parents. My only struggle is to bring them back to the Android Ecosystem. All four of them switched to iPhones (4S to start) around the iPhone 5 launch on my request. I was tired of arguing the benefits of buying a current "flagship" Android device over a "Free on contract" device.

As mentioned many times before, Fi's initial monthly cost is a bit on the high side. I'd like to think Google is "fair" to paying Public Beta testers. The last Google Beta I joined was Google Music. I still pay the $7.99/mo "beta" price. Let's assume that Google is attempting to be fair with Fi's beta prices. The cost associated with juggling two carriers might just be $50/mo for 3 GB of data. Not wanting to lose money - there is little Google could do to incentive people to switch from MetroPCS or Cricket.
However, Google *could* subsidize one of their paid services...

For all you MNVO subscribers: Would you switch to Fi if the structure was $20 Voice/Text, $10/mo for the first GB of data and the second GB of data includes the Google Music subscription for $10/mo.
$40/mo for Voice/Text + 2 GB of data + Google Music

I don't really understand why the N6 was designed to support all 4 major US carriers with one product SKU. IIRC, the Galaxy Nexus left Google and Big Red at odds. Google's Blog talked about how this project was ~2.5 years in the making. I can only infer the Nexus 6's four carrier support was a design goal required by Project Fi. Google had to have T-Mo and Sprint's buy-in 1+ year(s) ago. Why support AT&T and VZW then? I have zero respect for Sprint and don't really like AT&T or VZW - but Fi could really use AT&T or VZW to shade in most areas West of Minnesota. At least until T-Mobile can expand their nationwide LTE coverage and eclipse the other three.

I cant help but think that Google should have approached Motorola, subsidizing any additional manufacturing and validation costs, to include the N6's 4-carrier support in the US bound Moto E (2015) LTE for Fi. Call it the "Nexus E."

I fear budget minded subscribes will shy away from the Nexus 6's price tag - both upfront or monthly. I would spend $150 on a "Nexus E" to beta test Fi and use my VZW Nexus 6 to shame Comcast in home bandwidth requirements.

Uploading a few videos to YouTube emphasizing the propriety grading around my work forces excess rain water runoff through oily areas and into non-storm water separators:
vatTtVP.png

(I usually have the Mobile Data Warning Bar set at 1 TB)

Hold on did you just got from saying TMo had a $30 unlimited plan (that you are paying $20 for) to saying it is $80?
I was talking about data cost. I am paying $50 for the first line, $30 second line, and $10 third line + $20 for unlimited LTE for my line, with 1GB of data included on the other 2 lines. $110 before tax.

When you start breaking down plans or quoting SINGLE line plans, the pricing changes.

My original post stated that $10 a gig is a horrible deal if Google is trying to compete. Thats not a competitive price for someone that constantly uses data (not wifi)

I was talking about data cost. I am paying $50 for the first line, $30 second line, and $10 third line + $20 for unlimited LTE for my line, with 1GB of data included on the other 2 lines. $110 before tax.

When you start breaking down plans or quoting SINGLE line plans, the pricing changes.

My original post stated that $10 a gig is a horrible deal if Google is trying to compete. Thats not a competitive price for someone that constantly uses data (not wifi)

Yeah for family and group services I agree Google Fi doesn't look very good.

Back