Google Pixel Pwned In 60 Seconds

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Google’s flagship was hacked within a minute during a hacking competition. All aspects of the phone, which includes contacts, photos, messages, and phone calls, were compromised. Here’s hoping that the patch rolls out sooner rather than later.

The Google Pixel fell to a team of Chinese hackers alongside Apple Safari and Adobe Flash at the PwnFest hacking competition in Seoul on Friday. Mountain View's latest offering was smashed by white-hat friendlies from Qihoo 360, who used an undisclosed vulnerability to gain remote code execution for $120,000 cash prize. The exploit launched the Google Play store before opening Chrome and displaying a web page reading "Pwned By 360 Alpha Team". Google will now work on a patch for the flaw. It was the second time in as many weeks that the Pixel has been compromised.

just for the lulz, the hackers should release the details of the hack in just 1 week. (just as what Google did with Ms) lol

There's a few exploits. I had to use one because I had manually reset a (dad's company) company phone from a fired employee and realized it was never included in our enterprise. I couldn't gain access to the phone because you needed the prior Gmail account and apparently it was configured with the prior employee.

The exploit involved using a terminal PC program to unlock the modem via USB, then send a manual dial command to it which launched the dialer and dialed, from there you could briefly see "add to contacts" and if you clicked it, you could gain access to the contact manager. From there, it was trivial to launch the browser and enable developer options / install apps.

And I've seen where phones will briefly show protected data on the lock screen before masking it. Maybe they've addressed these in newer versions, but it shows there's some security holes.

Last edited:
Back