• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Ordered to Suspend Autocomplete Function Over Cyber-Harassment

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
It looks as though Google could have a problem on its hands in Japan.

The Tokyo District Court approved a petition demanding that Google Inc. suspend its autocomplete search feature for Internet browsers after a man alleged that it breached his privacy and got him fired, his lawyer said Sunday.
 
I've never really been a fan of this anyway (and I HATE that Amazon uses it now).
 
This is just another one of those , the courts knows nothing about technology cases.
Google does not make up the search results or the auto-complete, They are all just algorithms. And if employers sees on Google that the guy has a criminal past , that because some where on the web, there is a page that point to the guy having a criminal past. Which means it is public knowledge. No breach of privacy.
 
I've never really been a fan of this anyway (and I HATE that Amazon uses it now).

Ever since I clicked a joke link to a 55-gallon drum of lube on Amazon it always includes sex lube on my "recommended for you" section....
 
It didnt really say if he did the crimes or not. If he did then that sucks for him.

It does say he was "unfamiliar with the crimes".

And if you think about it, the problem may well just be having a 'too common name'. I mean, something as simple as 'Timothy Marshall'...you get as far as 'Timothy M...' and what do you see?
 
Ever since I clicked a joke link to a 55-gallon drum of lube on Amazon it always includes sex lube on my "recommended for you" section....

amazon.com > Your Account > View And Edit Your Browsing History > (find the item you want removed from the list) > Delete This Item
 
This is what happens when companies get cheap and decide to do the background check themselves instead of farming it out to a company that actually knows what the fuck it is doing and even those guys fuck up.
 
This is just another one of those , the courts knows nothing about technology cases.
Google does not make up the search results or the auto-complete, They are all just algorithms. And if employers sees on Google that the guy has a criminal past , that because some where on the web, there is a page that point to the guy having a criminal past. Which means it is public knowledge. No breach of privacy.

He didn't commit a crime, he has a name similar in spelling to someone who did, and so when employers try to do their "dig up internet dirt on you" that is part of the standard hiring process now, Google returns results that aren't related to him specifically.

Imagine your name is Kim Davis. An employer goes to punch your name in Google and the first suggestion is "Kim Dotcom."

This guy is trying to claim that having his name tied to a bad person hurts him in the hiring process.
 
Can a company refuse to hire a person just because their name brings up unwanted search results? I get that the laws are probably different in Japan, but that seems pretty ludicrous for any country.

This made me think of the picture of Justin John Bieber's facebook page flaming Justin Bieber.
 
This guy is trying to claim that having his name tied to a bad person hurts him in the hiring process.

Goodluck trying to prove that this is the reason he was fired and or not hired unless there's written evidence of this somewhere. No hiring manager guy is going to cop to this.
 
He didn't commit a crime, he has a name similar in spelling to someone who did, and so when employers try to do their "dig up internet dirt on you" that is part of the standard hiring process now, Google returns results that aren't related to him specifically.

Imagine your name is Kim Davis. An employer goes to punch your name in Google and the first suggestion is "Kim Dotcom."

This guy is trying to claim that having his name tied to a bad person hurts him in the hiring process.

Eh? I didn't take it as that. I took it as him typing his name into google ie "John Smith" and "John Smith rapist" pops up.

I would hope that the above example isn't happening. How the hell is Kim Dotcom equivalent to Kim Davis?
 
Eh? I didn't take it as that. I took it as him typing his name into google ie "John Smith" and "John Smith rapist" pops up.

I would hope that the above example isn't happening. How the hell is Kim Dotcom equivalent to Kim Davis?

Name is Kim Davis.
Working as usual and some how end up pissing off boss.
Boss with a hair up ass then Googles Kim Davis. First result is dotcom. Boss sees Kim and reads in horror.
Get fired.
Go home and wallow in pity / eat cereal.
Suddenly FBI comes crashing through windows. FBI takes all computer equipment and locks me up in prison.

End Result: Sue Google. :p
 
I've saw this problem before.

A friend of my parents is like SUPER CHRISTIAN TO THE MAX! He got the new BlackBerry 9900 (before I got mine) and I wanted to play with it...he was showing me all that it does so I went to the browser and typed "w" for "www." and with the first "w" type "wet pussy" popped up...needless to say he was super embarrassed ans tried to play it off...yeah yeah yeah...
 
As usual, suit brought against the wrong entity.

You don't blame Google for how their search results are used. If this company fired him over this, he should direct the suit at them, not Google.

If he can't because it's Japan, well... deal with it or move. Google did no wrong, his previous employer did!
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I always turn off autocomplete but this is about other people searching his name with autocomplete on and getting false data that ties him to criminal activity. That has ruined his career so I think he has a legit case, although; nothing will come of it because google does not recognize Japanese law, they are just one more douchebag American corporation in a list of many.
 
Name is Kim Davis.
Working as usual and some how end up pissing off boss.
Boss with a hair up ass then Googles Kim Davis. First result is dotcom. Boss sees Kim and reads in horror.
Get fired.
Go home and wallow in pity / eat cereal.
Suddenly FBI comes crashing through windows. FBI takes all computer equipment and locks me up in prison.

End Result: Sue Google. :p


I get the joke, but that seems like wrongful termination (at least in this part of the world) waiting to happen. If an employer can't be bothered to - I don't know, verify a last name before firing on an accusation like that, Jesus. As usual I'm probably giving too much credit in the "common sense" category though.

And let's be real, if they fire you they'll find something to make it legit one way or another.
 
Thread relevant comment: Technology is truly complicated

Thread hijack:


Check out the "Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed" section. Horse Mask, Cleaning Gloves....there's some whole underground thing here.

Don't forget the "Creampie Close-Ups" by Tad Pohl on the also viewed list
"This premium photo book includes 69 high-definition color photos of freshly inseminated human vaginas. Their sensitive, delicate tissues are still in the full bloom of arousal as the pearlescent elixir of life flows into and out of their feminine flowers."
 
I'm pretty sure you can blame Oldie for that...:)

Still have 30 gallons left.

At any rate I've googled the names of perspective hires but unless I'm 100% sure it's actually them I would never assume name = person I'm looking for, and only a moron would.
 
And the horse head mask. Never forget the horse head mask.
The user supplied pictures on the horse head mask page are amazing
5MXFY.jpg
 
This thread is like bitching about taxes: plenty to complain about, but in the end you just have to live with it.
 
As usual, suit brought against the wrong entity.

You don't blame Google for how their search results are used. If this company fired him over this, he should direct the suit at them, not Google.

If he can't because it's Japan, well... deal with it or move. Google did no wrong, his previous employer did!

I don't think anyone did any wrong here. Sure, it sucks that an employer jumped to such a ridiculous conclusion, but, in a perfect world, I should be able to fire anyone I want for reasons as petty as not liking them.

Not sure what the law is like in Japan, but I imagine it's pretty easy to let people go if he resorted to suing google.

If it was here, they would have just manufactured some reason like "outsourcing" or "cost-cutting" to cover their asses.
 
Back
Top