• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google needs to do something about Android boot times...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoxTek

The Geek Redneck
Joined
May 27, 2002
Messages
9,300
Seriously... while I love Android and think it just gets better and better with every new release, the programmers at Google need to take a step back and devote some resources to DECREASING boot time in it's current iterations of the OS.

I've seen some Froyo and Gingerbread devices boot in 5 - 10 seconds (my old Motorola Triumph, a few tablets I've got laying about)... with the release of ICS and most recently Jelly Bean boot times have just suffered hardcore. Even with beastly quad core devices you're still watching a boot animation for 30 seconds or more.

Now no one has EVER accused linux of booting quickly on even the fastest hardware, but... Jesus.

Anyone agree?
 
Doesn't bug me since I hardly ever reboot unless wiping/flashing Roms.
Coincidentally 4.2.2 that just dropped seems to boot my gnex quicker.
 
You have a bigger problem if you restart your phone often enough to have boot time be a problem.

It's a non issue.
 
You have a bigger problem if you restart your phone often enough to have boot time be a problem.

It's a non issue.

Seriously. I reboot my daily use smart phone a couple times a month maybe. Normally because I let the battery run down too far, and it shut itself off.

These things are computers with cell radios attached, so a slower boot would not surprise me. If you want more features, you deal with more code. Code may be bloating faster than the hardware is advancing. But as you said. It is a non issue for most people, since we rarely reboot our phones.
 
Boot times have gotten considerably better for me from my OG Droid to Gnex and now my Note 2. I haven't timed it, but I'd say my Note 2 boots in less than 20 secs. I only see the boot animation for maybe 10 secs. I'm pretty sure it boots faster than the iPhone 5 from what I've seen in review vids.

It really is a non issue to me too though. I only reboot to change ROMs.
 
You have a bigger problem if you restart your phone often enough to have boot time be a problem.

It's a non issue.

I agree totally. Even if it is an issue, there's not enough people affected by it to really warrant devoting developer time on it.
 
My old Dropid was taking forever to boot, my Note 2 both very fast, where is the complain ?
 
long boot time might indicate other stuff (bloatware on the phone, unoptimized code, loading unnecessary stuff...)

but yeah, it's not worth devoting developer time to it unless there's something major that's screwed up
 
My Note 2 loads fast enough for me not to really notice. Is this an actual problem? Does the OP have a current gen phone? I am so confused:rolleyes:
 
Boot times have gotten better. Of course, some phones (HTC since Sense 2.0 and some older Sense 1.x phones) have some form of quick boot option. These are "fake" in the sense that the phone simply goes into a more extreme hibernation as opposed to powering off. Remove the battery (for the phones that still support this) and reinsert and you'll get the real boot-up time. For my Incredible, it wasn't pretty.

My SGS2 boots up fairly quick. Just timed it and it went from off to OS in exactly 26 seconds. After that it still had to load SD card contents and some widget, but the OS was navigational. I think that's acceptable.
 
Doesnt it have a lot to do with the carriers, not google themselves?

Depending on what rom I use, boot times can vary quite a bit. I also remember after unlocking the bootloader on the SGS3, it booted up much faster. Dont know if that was true for the Note 2, only booted it a couple times before unlocking.
 
I don't agree. My phone is always on and I reboot it maybe once a week just because I like too.
 
I thought it had more to do with the hardware rather than the actual software. As in, number of extra chips that need to be validated, speed of data transfer to CPU, etc.
 
Shit... I should know better than to make threads in the mobile devices forum. Someone needs to smack me with a rolled up newspaper or something. There truly is no clique worse than the mobile phone one... full of elitist 'you-must-be-doing-something-wrong' pricks with little knowledge and way too much attitude.

FYI, as my main device I run a Galaxy Nexus with CM10.1 and Leankernel - it quite simply doesn't get more optimized than that. Too many apps? Too much bloat? Bullshit. For one thing installed apps make absolutely ZERO difference in Android boot times. Nada. Zilch. It's the way Android works. For another I'm pretty lean as far as apps go. You'd find me pretty boring - basic Google services and maybe a game or three installed if I'm feeling particularly rowdy.

My Nexus 7 is about the same as the GNex boot time wise.. again running CM10.1 (although the stock ROM is about the same).

I probably have to reboot my devices once every week or two (usually due to a battery running down) and while it's not a huge issue it can be a pain. My post / thread was more commentary and musing than anything else.

But hey, looks like I got my answers! Thanks for your participation and opinions!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top