Google Might be Getting into the Game Streaming and Console Market

DukenukemX said:
If you haven't noticed but for anything to be pirated it first must be worth doing the work. Bad games get ignored.
Shit games get pirated if it's easy enough.
See this is what I don't like. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. So which is it? Bad games get ignored and don't get pirated or bad games get pirated if it's easy?

As for the rest of your post, you keep going off on different topics. Let's reel it back in to the point I'm trying to refute:

DukenukemX said:
Mods is another thing that isn't decided by companies. We're going to mod it, no questions asked.
Sure, unless it's The Division, or Diablo 3, or Overwatch, or Path of Exile, or somehow any other game with tens of millions in sales that has its files locked down. Pure coincidence!

DukenukemX said:
As for Diablo 3, the auction house was removed years ago, but that did nothing to help it's rating. The game is a farm-o-thon and people don't like that.
Which means they would NEVER mod the game to change that, right? It's had 30 million in sales, yet somehow nobody wanted to mod it to make the gameplay better? After all, in your words, players determine if the games get modded, not devs. They those millions of players just decided to not mod Diablo 3, even though they could? And somehow Diablo 2 had 4 million in sales, DIDN'T lock its files, and has hundreds of mods. Pure coincidence!

DukenukemX said:
Overwatch is just not popular anymore. Not popular enough to warrant someone to make a server emulator and create mods.
So 35 million in sales means a game isn't popular enough to warrant mods? Just how popular does a game need to be in order to get mods then? But you're saying the popularity has fallen and the modders just didn't get a chance. So how come Path of Exile has been out for 5 years, is more popular than it's ever been, yet has no mods because the game is locked down? Guess nobody wanted any mods for it! Or how about Rainbox Six Siege? Been out for 2 years, has 25 million players and NO MODS. Pure coincidence!

DukenukemX said:
Popularity determines if a game is modded, not the devs.
Sure, and it's just pure coincidence that all these best-selling games with millions of players, many of which are still going strong, but have their files locked down, have NO MODS. Yet any game with a couple thousand sales that also releases developer tools will at least get a few. Has nothing at all to do with whether the devs allow mods or not! I think we're done here.

Last edited:
See this is what I don't like. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. So which is it? Bad games get ignored and don't get pirated or bad games get pirated if it's easy?
It has to be either very popular or very easy to pirate. Here's an example of something called OpenMW which is an open source game engine to replace the engines found in Elder Scroll and Fallout games. This is to replace the already horrible existing and abandoned game engines that exist for those games. A mod that takes it to a whole new level. But we all know that Bethesda games tend to have a devout following.

As for the rest of your post, you keep going off on different topics. Let's reel it back in to the point I'm trying to refute:

Sure, unless it's The Division, or Diablo 3, or Overwatch, or Path of Exile, or somehow any other game with tens of millions in sales that has its files locked down. Pure coincidence!
Millions of sales don't always mean the game was good. I bought Diablo 3 and I stopped playing after the first month of release. Multiplayer games don't usually have long staying power. People lose interest very quickly. Denuvo was considered to be a great success by some people here, and now it gets cracked within a week of release, or sooner.
Which means they would NEVER mod the game to change that, right? It's had 30 million in sales, yet somehow nobody wanted to mod it to make the gameplay better? After all, in your words, players determine if the games get modded, not devs. They those millions of players just decided to not mod Diablo 3, even though they could? And somehow Diablo 2 had 4 million in sales, DIDN'T lock its files, and has hundreds of mods. Pure coincidence!
You seem to overlook the fact that Diablo 3 was hated while Diablo 2 was loved. You can't just ignore the MetaCritic User Rating of 4.0 and claim the sales show people liked it. Diablo 3 is a great example of how a terrible game made great sales based on it's previous iteration.
So 35 million in sales means a game isn't popular enough to warrant mods? Just how popular does a game need to be in order to get mods then? But you're saying the popularity has fallen and the modders just didn't get a chance. So how come Path of Exile has been out for 5 years, is more popular than it's ever been, yet has no mods because the game is locked down? Guess nobody wanted any mods for it! Or how about Rainbox Six Siege? Been out for 2 years, has 25 million players and NO MODS. Pure coincidence!
There's certainly people working on a server emulator for OverWatch, just nothing that works. Path of Exiles for the last 30 days has 19.604 active players. During Xmas it had gained 20k in players which gave it 30k in players. For the first 2 years since 2013 this game has maintained around 10k in players. TF2 for the past 30 days has 48k players on average, and that's been consistent since its release. CS:GO has on average 387k players for the last 30 days. I consider TF2 a dead game, so what does that make Path of Exiles?

Rainbow Six Siege does have mods just not many of them. Though the amount of active players today is 62k. Not that much higher than TF2 and a far cry from CS:GO. Don't know where 25 million comes from but I doubt 24 million people are playing the game on PS4 and Xbox. Maybe 24 million in sales.

http://steamcharts.com/app/359550
Sure, and it's just pure coincidence that all these best-selling games with millions of players, many of which are still going strong, but have their files locked down, have NO MODS. Yet any game with a couple thousand sales that also releases developer tools will at least get a few. Has nothing at all to do with whether the devs allow mods or not! I think we're done here.
You're just repeating yourself.

It has to be either very popular or very easy to pirate. Here's an example of something called OpenMW which is an open source game engine to replace the engines found in Elder Scroll and Fallout games. This is to replace the already horrible existing and abandoned game engines that exist for those games. A mod that takes it to a whole new level. But we all know that Bethesda games tend to have a devout following.
Bethesda releases modding tools for their games. That's the whole point.

Millions of sales don't always mean the game was good. I bought Diablo 3 and I stopped playing after the first month of release. Multiplayer games don't usually have long staying power. People lose interest very quickly.
Hence why I brought up Path of Exile and Rainbox Six Siege, both going strong after years of being out.

You seem to overlook the fact that Diablo 3 was hated while Diablo 2 was loved.
I'm not ignoring it, I'm pointing out that's all the more reason for it to get a mod, yet it has none. The point was Diablo 2 didn't lock down the files, so mods weren't nearly impossible to implement the way they would be on Diablo 3. If Blizzard had released mod tool Diablo 3 released mod tools like Warcraft 3, it would have even more mods than Diablo 2. You seem to think this isn't the case. What the devs give to the players determines almost everything. Popularity is only a small part of the puzzle. A community with mod tools and only a few dozen members will release more mods than a locked down game with tens of millions of players. The players don't determine if there are mods, the devs do.

Path of Exiles for the last 30 days has 19.604 active players. During Xmas it had gained 20k in players which gave it 30k in players. For the first 2 years since 2013 this game has maintained around 10k in players. TF2 for the past 30 days has 48k players on average, and that's been consistent since its release. CS:GO has on average 387k players for the last 30 days. I consider TF2 a dead game, so what does that make Path of Exiles?
Path of Exile releases its client directly, Steam is only part of its numbers. It hit 112k active players last year. While it's not as big as some games, it's pretty much the biggest action RPG on the market right now and has only grown players year after year. I bring it up because it is a popular game, a long history now, and NO MODS because the files are locked down

Rainbow Six Siege does have mods just not many of them. Though the amount of active players today is 62k. Not that much higher than TF2 and a far cry from CS:GO. Don't know where 25 million comes from but I doubt 24 million people are playing the game on PS4 and Xbox. Maybe 24 million in sales.
You say it has mods, where? I don't mean cheat hacks, almost multiplayer games get those, I mean custom maps, alternate gameplay modes, new weapons, different models, you know, MODS. As for its popularity, It's literally the 5th most played game on Steam right now:

http://steamcharts.com/

So is your argument that being out for 2 years and still being the 5th most-played game on Steam isn't popular enough to warrant mods? Considering how hundreds of LESS popular games with mod tools get tons of mods, that seems to support my argument that it's the devs that determine whether mods will exist or not.

You're just repeating yourself.
Well you seem keep denying the facts, I admit I'm a little mystified how you're doing that. Here's the thing, a lot of your posts seem to be arguing that mods make a game more popular and extend its life. I'm not arguing that, that's true. I'm arguing your claim that players determine if there are mods, not the devs, which I think is pretty patently false. Look at that top 10 list. Rainbow Six Siege and Warframe have NO MODS, yet they're some of the most popular out there. If you're still not connecting the dots, here's my point:

1. If a game is released with mod tools, it will have mods, even if it's not very popular.
2. If a game is released with no mod tools, but doesn't lock down its files AND is popular, it will have mods.
3. If a game is locked down by the devs with online checks, it will have no mods, regardless of how popular it is (except in very rare cases like WoW, which had source code leaked). Even being a good game with a growing fanbase for years in the top 10 most played games or being the 4th best selling PC game in the world still means no mods.

You seem to be completely denying point #3, then making argument in favor of #1 or #2 OR saying some of the most played games on the planet aren't popular enough to get mods. I think the only logical conclusion based on the evidence is devs determine if a game will have mods more than the players do.

Back