Google, Microsoft Pledge to Strike Piracy Sites from Front Page Searches

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Would-be pirates in the UK are now faced with the tremendous burden of scrolling down and jumping to consequent search pages in order to view links pointing to copyrighted material. While this is technically censorship, the big search companies have decided that this is the right thing to do on top of handling millions of takedown notices. The UK's Intellectual Property Office (IPO) claims that one in six Britons are pirates.

…Microsoft's Bing and Google will remove pirate links from the first page of search results. In addition, both search engines may tweak autocomplete features on their respective search bars to support these guidelines. The autocomplete, first utilized as a time-saving measure, may also remove terms which lead to pirate websites. While Google has received takedown notices for over a million websites which reporters claim to infringe on copyrighted material, the company cannot rely solely on this information to make an informed decision. There are domains which are repeatedly reported to Google for other reasons -- such as political purposes. Some websites constantly reported for infringing content, for example, include the White House, NASA, and the BBC.

Sounds like this is to combat the amount of take downs than to help fight against piracy.

The default google search results is 10 so the 2nd page starts with 11-20.
If I set my result to 100 (which I always do) the 2nd page is now 101-200. Will the pirate results still be on 2nd page?

Wow, what a waste of resources.

There's a meme for this.

blocktpb1.jpg

Back