Google Mail Goggles

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google wants to help you stop sending email you will regret later with a new tool called Mail Goggles. The idea is to have you answer a few easy math questions which, in theory, will determine whether you are in the right frame of mind to send the email in the first place.

When you enable Mail Goggles, it will check that you're really sure you want to send that late night Friday email. And what better way to check than by making you solve a few simple math problems after you click send to verify you're in the right state of mind?

I wonder if it is the time of day that you are writing the email, or the content of the email that
will result in the math questions screen. I think it would have to be both.

It is something that you have to turn on to use. Meaning that you know that you have a problem sending emails that you really shouldn't have sent. I think you might want to go about getting help or something like that instead of using this feature. Like is like being able to enable a feature on your car where you can answer a few math problems before starting it to see if you are sober enough to drive. If you know you have that much of a drinking problem you should be getting help, not enabling a feature. Same here.

Now if only there was something like that for intarweb forums...

It is something that you have to turn on to use. Meaning that you know that you have a problem sending emails that you really shouldn't have sent. I think you might want to go about getting help or something like that instead of using this feature. Like is like being able to enable a feature on your car where you can answer a few math problems before starting it to see if you are sober enough to drive. If you know you have that much of a drinking problem you should be getting help, not enabling a feature. Same here.

A feature like that would be nice for overly serious posters, too.:D

If your not sober enough to bring up calculator, ya better just go to bed.

Oooo maybe they should have different levels. Then you'd have e-peen contests over what level you set your questions too. I'm sure I'd set mine to the Nonlinear-Diff EQ level. :rolleyes:

They should just do this. there should be 2 send button,. by default the send will delay the send by 1 min. In that time you can stop the send. You can go to settings and adjust the delay time.

Also they could do a system where u can assign a time and date to mail that email.

hm

10 + 10 = 4!

Damn it!

Now google knows I am not very keen on mathematics! booooo!

man, I seriously need something like this sometimes.... lol anything to get me to slow down and "count to 10" before emailing/posting/whatever is a good thing...

When the emotions start flying- the internet gets dangerous!!! lol

A more useful idea for this concept would apply it to cell phones before making a call.

VERY easy to have an automated voice read back the question to you, and a cell phone keypad is the most natural thing in the world to enter numbers on!

What if you're stupid?
If you are so dumb you can't do 3rd grade math, then how would you even know how to use e-mail? Even if your intelligent and horrible at math, you would have enough intelligence to grab a calculator.

jeez... the article says you have to enable the feature yourself. Anyone that has problems sending bad emails late at night (when they are drunk or just tired) will be just intelligent enough to enable this feature. The idiots that somehow figure out how to enable this feature...I say good riddance.

A feature like that would be nice for overly serious posters, too.:D

LOL. What that doesn't make perferect sense to you.

I don't think answering math questions will help prevent error like that.

Asking me to do math while being in a bad state of mind will make me go into a catastrophic state of mind.

They should just re-direct the mail users to a pr0n site for a few minutes before the email can be sent.... most likley, that flame mail will never make it through ;)

listen_to_yourself.png

i had no idea there was such a problem with people sending emails they may not want to???....this confuses me greatly...i cant believe it's such a widespread problem that they would spend time developing this......this IS a joke right? no seriously....this is real?

Funny. All of those e-breakups will not be evaluated by Google to see if you are in the right frame of mind...

A good rule to follow is, if there is any chance the e-mail is going to make you look like a dick then delete the first e-mail your write. Write another one and sometimes delete that one also. I was going to e-mail my manager one time. Had to delete five of them before actually firing one off.

All you a-holes who can't type worth a crap could use this. I mean, come on, maybe [H] should have something like this to keep dumbasses like you from littering the forums with your worthless...

Oh man...I have met the enemy and he is me...:D

A good rule to follow is, if there is any chance the e-mail is going to make you look like a dick then delete the first e-mail your write. Write another one and sometimes delete that one also. I was going to e-mail my manager one time. Had to delete five of them before actually firing one off.

I'm curious as to what the first email said ;) :p

Back