Google launches IMAP Support for Gmail

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Gmail users will be happy to know that Google has added IMAP support for its popular online e-mail service.

"It keeps the same information synced across all devices so that whatever you do in one place shows up everywhere else you might access your e-mail," said David Murray, associate product manager, in a blog post. "For example, I can read an e-mail in Gmail, then move it to the 'Starred' folder on my iPhone, then archive it by moving it to 'All Mail' in Thunderbird, then see all of those changes on my BlackBerry or any of [these] devices for that matter."

Finally! I've been waiting for this for years.

POP3 blows.

I can't wait for this to hit my account as Gmail is my ONLY email address.

Too bad there are still sites out there that don't consider gmail addresses as "legitimate".

Hmm, I guess this is rolling out over the weekend then? Can't wait, POP3 syncing has been an absolute nightmare for me...

Hmm, I guess this is rolling out over the weekend then? Can't wait, POP3 syncing has been an absolute nightmare for me...

I got three out of my four accounts before Thursday evening with IMAP, but the bad part is my primary count was not one of the three, still not four out of four yet.

I have been using gmail since 04' and still don't have it on my account. any news on when it will be added to the rest of the accounts?

Cant wait! I think I might use their email hosting for my domain if the imap works well!

I have been wanting to use them for a long time...but have been having to use my own server as I love/need/want imap :)

I heard about this from ArsTechnica either Monday or Tuesday, but I didn't get it until Thursday.

I love IMAP, used to use it in college, but was missing it after I graduated.

Yeam Toms reported this a few days ago, and i've been waiting ever since for the Imap option to show up, alas it still hasnt...maybe they're rolling it out based on account age, since mine is relatively new....still.....its taking a bit......

Yeam Toms reported this a few days ago, and i've been waiting ever since for the Imap option to show up, alas it still hasnt...maybe they're rolling it out based on account age, since mine is relatively new....still.....its taking a bit......

It can not be account age.
My brand new account I made today has it, my account I made two weeks ago has it, account three months ago has it, account made one year ago has it, but my account made in 2004 (primary account) does not have it.

well damnit, i wanted IMAP from the very start and i barely knew what it was, just some cool service i didnt know about until the college email i had used it and i was like "why dont all emails use this sytem?".

I thought it was custom for my school for a a while, even though i was surprised to find it as a selectable option in outlook when configuring an email account.

well damnit, i wanted IMAP from the very start and i barely knew what it was, just some cool service i didnt know about until the college email i had used it and i was like "why dont all emails use this sytem?".

Because by deleting from the server automatically pop3 requires less hardware on the ISPs end. Back in the dark ages before most providers also offered web access it also minimized the tech support headaches from users filling up thier mailboxes.

Well, not as excited now. I was hoping it would be a bit faster than my current IMAP server for loading messages and such, but it is a bit slower (not bad though, just a tiny bit slower than my current web/email server).

Should be great for those that do not have IMAP already though, and it is very fast none the less.

This sounds great (and is probably part of a cooperative roll-out for the new Mail.app in Leopard) but unfortunately, will not work properly with VersaMail on my LifeDrive or my father-in-law's Palm TX.

well still nothing....they say on the gmail help page that it should take about a week to give it to everybody and they have about 2 more days left.....and i would think i'd get it a little earlier than dead last.

well still nothing....they say on the gmail help page that it should take about a week to give it to everybody and they have about 2 more days left.....and i would think i'd get it a little earlier than dead last.

both of my personal accounts have it activated however the communal account that my wife and I share for bills still doesn't have it turned on. I don't see any rhyme or reason to their roll-out. Don't fret, it'll get turned on. :)

since i checked earlier today and did not have it, i can affirm i must have gotten in sometime this evening. their tutorial to set it up sucks though, i luckily could guestimate the servers, but the ports, at least one of them anyway, were wrong (they also didnt provide ports, but i just used the ones from the POP setup).

since i checked earlier today and did not have it, i can affirm i must have gotten in sometime this evening. their tutorial to set it up sucks though, i luckily could guestimate the servers, but the ports, at least one of them anyway, were wrong (they also didnt provide ports, but i just used the ones from the POP setup).

I don't know which tutorial you're looking at, but they have all of the servers an ports plain as day in the the tutorial. In fact, they give you two ports to choose from.

I can't wait for this to hit my account as Gmail is my ONLY email address.

Too bad there are still sites out there that don't consider gmail addresses as "legitimate".

Well, you could just stop visiting them. I'm sure they (the admins) would be glad to close your account for you since this is evidently causing you great stress. As a side question, do you use the word legitimate when you mean "one of the largest sources of spam generation on the planet"?

I don't know which tutorial you're looking at, but they have all of the servers an ports plain as day in the the tutorial. In fact, they give you two ports to choose from.

Well i dont know which tutorial you're looking at, but the one i read was on the help portion of gmail about imap and they say to use the port and servers "given" but no where on that page were they given unfortunately, making it more of a guesswork situation.

Well i dont know which tutorial you're looking at, but the one i read was on the help portion of gmail about imap and they say to use the port and servers "given" but no where on that page were they given unfortunately, making it more of a guesswork situation.

Log in to GMail->Settings (at the top)->Forwarding and POP/IMAP->Configuration Instructions->Other(Under Mail Clients)

You'll see these instructions. I don't know how much more you want them to give you.

[SIZE=-1]Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server - requires SSL:[/SIZE] [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]
imap.gmail.com[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]
--Use SSL: Yes
--Port: 993
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS:
[/SIZE] [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][SIZE=-1]
smtp.gmail.com[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1] (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Account Name: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]your Gmail username (including [FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]@gmail.com[/FONT])

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Email Address: [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]your full Gmail email address ([FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono][email protected][/FONT]) [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]

Password:
[/SIZE] [SIZE=-1]your Gmail password[/SIZE]

Well I have been using it a few days with outlook 2007, and I have one huge gripe with it, but that is only because Outlook + IMAP is a train wreck. If you want to delete messages in Outlook with IMAP Gmail, the old 'delete and purge' technique does not work (or at least did not for me). The only way I have found that you can delete messages is to move the messages to the IMAP Trash folder, then do the 'delete and purge' there.

Just a tip for any Outlook users out there.

Well I finally got it today and added it to Outlook07 and having a problem. I can recieve emails fine but when I go to send an email it just hangs. When I have the outgoing port to 587, it results in an error and when I set the outgoing port to 465 it just hangs on it. I have the outgoing port set to TLS like it says. Any idea?

I put my email address as my username as well.

i got it on my account today as well, and I wish there was an option to enable it for only new mail. I have about 5000 messages and downloading them will take forever over my schools crappy network connection (they cap us at 58kb/s down).

I think I will stick to pop until I go home for winter break and have a good net connection

i got it on my account today as well, and I wish there was an option to enable it for only new mail. I have about 5000 messages and downloading them will take forever over my schools crappy network connection (they cap us at 58kb/s down).

I think I will stick to pop until I go home for winter break and have a good net connection

The entire point of IMAP is that you see the entire account, including custom folders and organization, all at once. If you only want to see new messages, then the best bet is to stick to POP3.

GREAT... how we get swarms of Iphone users on gmail because their corporate network doesn't support the stupid thing (i'm talking about real enterprise support)

Back