Google Is Shuttering Google Compare

HardOCP News

[H] News
I would say that it is surprising that Google Compare was closed down so quickly but then I remembered that I, like most other people, had never actually used the site.

Google is shuttering Google Compare, its U.S. comparison-shopping site for auto insurance, credit cards and mortgages after one year, the Wall Street Journal reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the matter. The quick reversal is a setback to the Alphabet unit's efforts to use its enormous reach to provide consumers with niche shopping services and financial-services tools.

Never even heard of Google Compare ... till now. I guess I'm not in the demographic to be made aware of this site.

I've used the auto insurance portion once. Ran into it by accident when searching for car insurance.

Got only a couple of quotes from companies that I've never even heard of. Rates weren't great.

Would I have used it again? Probably not.

I've used the auto insurance portion once. Ran into it by accident when searching for car insurance.

Got only a couple of quotes from companies that I've never even heard of. Rates weren't great.

Would I have used it again? Probably not.

That's pretty much how I remember my experience going. Got a couple rates from some fly-by-night looking companies I've never heard of, didn't bother with it after that and then forgot about it.

Its weird they would even try to do the insurance thing. You would either have to license a few people in a lot of states (which is risky), or a lot of people in a lot of states (which is expensive), then pay the fees and go through the certification process of being allowed to sell for Company A.

Its also funny to me that they would shutter the doors after one year. For anybody who has ever sold insurance, that first year sucks, and the second might too. The juice flows like molasses for a long time before being established finally warms things up.

Comparing insurance prices, NOT providing insurance.

Fair enough, so it was a click-funnel sort of thing. With every major insurance provider already providing their own price comparison tool, it's no wonder they are shutting it down.

Fair enough, so it was a click-funnel sort of thing. With every major insurance provider already providing their own price comparison tool, it's no wonder they are shutting it down.

I also seem to remember when they announced it they only had a handful of markets, I tried MI and the page basically said screw off we don't have data for you. No wonder it was a failure.

It really was no different than eQuote or whatever that insurance quote site that used to advertise all the time 15 years ago was. You filled out your general information about you and your car, they give you some generic quotes and after the next day or so you start getting calls from local providers mentioning the quote. That's the thing. Most people shopping for insurance online don't want to talk to someone unless they have a question or they already have insurance and was just blowing 10 minutes to see if anyone was is cheaper. The followups annoyed me.

Back