Google Is Fat, Happy and Arrogant?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Computerworld says that Google has become fat, happy and arrogant in record time and theorizes that this is good news for Microsoft. Regardless what you may think of the search giant, this article does have a few valid points even though most of the allegations / complaints are sourced from different articles.

Google went from startup to behemoth in record time. But there are increasing signs that Google has become just another fat, happy, and even arrogant company, no longer the lean, industry-changing giant of the past. And that spells good news for Microsoft.

On the medical side of things at least, that could not be further from the truth. I can't say much, but Microsoft and Google are engaged in a major game-changing battle for the way medical records are stored and accessed. Actually it pretty much comes down to which of those two behemoths manages to pull off the acquisition of another smaller medical company. Whichever wins will get a 2 billion image head start on the other company.

Funny, I remember some tech journalist describing Intel in exactly the same terms, prior to Athlon X2.

You, know, even with not getting stupidly cheap child care, most people would still kill to get Google's job benefits.

I'm actually really interested in their cloud computing effort and andriod mobile os, which both have the potential to be breakout products/services. Computerworld never was all that relevant anyhow...

M$'s incompetence will more than redeem Google's alleged fat & happy arrogance.

Im sure Google will hit a peak as all big business does, though they dont follow the normal path so far, which as worked well for them. Giant they are, but they seem to be pretty sincere about their "do no evil" structure.

Compared to MicroSoft, which has become too fat for it's own good trying to copy everyone else after failing to see the trends. Google owns Search, Apple owns portable music, MS got left in the cold. They need to get back to basics, the one thing everyone knows them for, which is operating systems. Come on, Vista? 5 years and that is what we got? They have a serious problem.

Microsoft is good at doing one thing, and that's making money.

Google is definitely a trendier and more creative company, but they haven't made much of a profit on their own endeavors. If they can't think how to generate revenue beyond Google Ads, the company will not reach the revolutionary greatness it strives to be.

Google does pretty much dominate how to obtain info on the web. Even today I discovered a new feature that blew me out of the water, Google Finance. I'm not a player in the stock market, but I wanted to see how our buds Nvidia were doing, so I Googled it, clicked Google finance and my coworker had to pick my chair back up. But, there is something still missing....

Funny, I remember some tech journalist describing Intel in exactly the same terms, prior to Athlon X2.

Its the way the pendulum swings. Company comes out fighting, kicks ass, gets complacent, loses to the competitor, gets fired up again and hopefully returns with something better. Happens to every company. :)

Google does pretty much dominate how to obtain info on the web. Even today I discovered a new feature that blew me out of the water, Google Finance. I'm not a player in the stock market, but I wanted to see how our buds Nvidia were doing, so I Googled it, clicked Google finance and my coworker had to pick my chair back up. But, there is something still missing....

The Google Finance page is IMO all flash, no substance. It does a great job of attaching news stories to the stock chart but that is it. There are no options to view technical indicators like moving averages, RSI, stochastics, MACD, and no alternate chart views like candlesticks. It really isn't that useful for real traders/investors.

Yahoo's stock pages are IMO much much better.

I can't help but laugh when some nobody decides to declare that the people that turned nothing into a $500,000,000,000 business are doing it wrong. Perhaps they should go into business instead of being a second-rate writer for a third-rate publication?

So how do u query for only relevant non-commercial or non-sponsored hits in google? Oh yeah that's right, u CAN'T.

Google still seems more friendly just from the colorful pages most of the times lol. Microsoft webpages look serious and down to earth more. ;)

I do gotta say google search has been going down hill in the last year or so its gotten alot worse, but still miles ahead of others I think.

Compared to MicroSoft, which has become too fat for it's own good trying to copy everyone else after failing to see the trends. Google owns Search, Apple owns portable music, MS got left in the cold.

Yes, because owning the most popular OS in the world is beeing "left in the cold".

I can't help but laugh when some nobody decides to declare that the people that turned nothing into a $500,000,000,000 business are doing it wrong. Perhaps they should go into business instead of being a second-rate writer for a third-rate publication?

That was done on the basis of good code writing. Much of their success now is largely dependent on good business practices.

You could've made the same post about Yahoo last decade, and look where it gets you.

Back