Google Images Now Shows Copyright Information

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
As part of the changes Alphabet is making to its various services, Google is now showing creator and copyright metadata in Google Images results. Every image will have an "image credit" button that users can click to see where it came from. This follows a recent EU crackdown on search providers allegedly distributing copyrighted images, as well as independent efforts to control it. As part of this initiative, Google "partnered" with CEPIC, which represents over 600 photo agencies across Europe, and with the International Press Telecommunications Council, which includes organizations such as AP, the New York Times, and the BBC. Just for reference, the image in the article did come from Paul Sawers at Venturebeat.

For context, Google has incurred the wrath of many agencies and photographers for scraping images from the original source and displaying them in high-resolution format rather than as thumbnails. Getty filed a complaint with the EU several years ago over the practice, though earlier this year Getty and Google declared a truce by entering a licensing partnership. So today is another step forward for Google in terms of building bridges with the photography world.

This copyright bullshit is really getting out of hand. If you want to copyright something to the point where others don't freely use it - I would HIGHLY suggest not uploading it to the fucking internet retards.

It's one thing to persue copyright if someone takes your image and tries to sell it (e.g. print it on a t-shirt) - but worrying about image credit for a posted image on a webpage, forum, news story, etc?? Ridiculous IMO.

This copyright bullshit is really getting out of hand. If you want to copyright something to the point where others don't freely use it - I would HIGHLY suggest not uploading it to the fucking internet retards.

It's one thing to persue copyright if someone takes your image and tries to sell it (e.g. print it on a t-shirt) - but worrying about image credit for a posted image on a webpage, forum, news story, etc?? Ridiculous IMO.
I'm mixed about this, on one hand you're not allowed to show off what you took with a camera? Seems a bit short sighted, plus yeah someone else is simply showing off the picture ... which then ends up getting clicks away from your site, and in the grand scheme of things clicks = money, so someone else actually does end up profiting from your work, and it could also be taking money from your pocket if they go to said site instead of yours. Then there's a side of me who thinks "fuck it, it's the internet, it's free for all no pay walls allowed, if you're that worried about your work put a your name all over the photo with a link to where they can purchase it it"

That said I fucking hate what google did with the image search, I liked being able to simply look at the image that I wanted, now I have to go to the webpage and see if the image is even there any more, too much work and they made the image search almost useless.

Every time I try to learn about Google's image drama I end up reading stuff about copyright law.

It forces me to realise that copyright law is so far beyond me. It's no wonder lawyers spend a lifetime learning its idiosyncrasies.

Now I understand why Google started to show text below EVERY image in Goggle Images. They're a blight and eyesore. Before that Google Image used to show just images in rows.

I moved to Bing a few months ago... don't miss Google at all. Bing is like 90% as good minus the political censorship and pro-copyright image result changes.

Back