Google Fiber Wants To Beam Wireless Internet To Your Home

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company is reportedly working on connecting wireless towers to existing fiber lines and experimenting with a number of different wireless technologies to make this happen.

If Google can figure out how to make the technology work, that would reverberate across the broadband industry, since it would solve the expensive “last mile” problem that broadband companies usually tackle by stringing a web of wires directly into homes. And solving that problem would be a big deal, because it would give Google’s parent, Alphabet, which runs Fiber, a plausible path to build out a nationwide network that could go head to head with broadband incumbents like AT&T, Verizon, Charter and Comcast.

I was thinking more along the lines of them doing fiber through the main areas then using towers similar to Vivint wireless internet which is more or less 100Mb/sec down and 100Mb/sec up if you are in good range with the hub home. Wireless mesh from hub home to hub home or something similar.

I was loving Vivint wireless up until they changed the modems to "upgrade" them and I suddenly became out of range with poor signal and dropouts.

How would latency be with this sort of large scale wireless approach?

Most likely this is related to their 5G frequency requests for "testing". Many don't know but with the latest MIMO and Beamforming from WiFi that is being integrated into 5G it will likely be the first generation where its name and speed are synonymous, 5gb/sec on a 10ft whip antenna according to Verizon engineers.

Most likely this is related to their 5G frequency requests for "testing". Many don't know but with the latest MIMO and Beamforming from WiFi that is being integrated into 5G it will likely be the first generation where its name and speed are synonymous, 5gb/sec on a 10ft whip antenna according to Verizon engineers.

That is funny. You think people will get 5Gbps over their cell phone. I don't care if the technology allows it. They aren't going to feed the towers with 100Tbps to ensure everyone gets 5Gbps. My guess is that you will see 10 Gbps if lucky feed a tower. So real world you will never get to experience 5Gbps unless nobody else is on. Although honestly that is fine. With how much praise there is for google fiber and how wonderful a 1Gbps connection is. They are using GPON, which means 2.5Gbps shared between most likely 24 through 32 people, depends on how they handle the splits on their network. Normal is either a 16 split or 32 split, with 32 being more common of the two. And yet you don't hear people complain about slow speeds which means most aren't utilizing the connection enough to create a bottle neck on the PON itself.

I was thinking more along the lines of them doing fiber through the main areas then using towers similar to Vivint wireless internet which is more or less 100Mb/sec down and 100Mb/sec up if you are in good range with the hub home. Wireless mesh from hub home to hub home or something similar.

I was loving Vivint wireless up until they changed the modems to "upgrade" them and I suddenly became out of range with poor signal and dropouts.

That sounds kinda cool. I went to their website and there is zero way to see what there coverage is or even the general cities they operate in.....only option is to call. That's not very internet friendly.

Back