Google Earth Rolls Out Massive New Update

Discussion in '[H]ard|OCP Front Page News' started by Kyle_Bennett, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

If you do not have any experience with Google Earth, playing around with it can be extremely cool as it will give you some views of the world that many of us will never experience first hand. While it does not cover every spot around the globe, it does give you a bunch of highlighted spots that you go take "tours" of on your desktop. What is incredibly cool is that Google Earth works in VR as well, and works well actually. As of today there has been a tremendous amount of new content updated. Google Earth can take you around cities around the globe, as well as all sorts of natural terrain features, and even show off a ton of wildlife. I will get the Vive on later today and see what new spots are supported in VR. If you have not done this in VR, it can very much give you a Superman point of view, no phone booth required.

Check out the video.

Yes, Mega touched on this yesterday morning, but I wanted to hit on this again due to the VR perspective that many folks may not be aware of.

jedimasterben likes this.
  2. zexelon

zexelon n00bie

This is awesome news, what I really hope though is that it finally lets you into buildings! Google maps supports going through many buildings (the Ottawa Air & Space Museum is particularly well done). I have been really hoping this makes it to the Google Earth VR environment for my vive!

3. Kyle_Bennett

Yep, I was wondering the same thing. Need to get out the Vive and take it for a spin. Not a lot of information on this from the VR aspect.

4. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

As someone who spends way too much time scouring the planet on Google Earth, the VR aspect would really be killer.

Had no clue about that. Nice news.

5. Kyle_Bennett

Google Earth is VR is AMAZING. For that matter, simple Maps is too, but Earth is crazy. Standing next to Devil's Tower, and being the same size of it is cool as hell.

DrLobotomy likes this.
  6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I'm getting Aw snap! The new Google Earth isn't supported by your browser yet. but I'm using the latest version of Chrome.

7. braamer

braamer [H]ard|Gawd

You might like geoguessr.com. It drops you in a random spot in the world in Google maps and you have to figure out where you are.

DrLobotomy likes this.