Google Earth Going Photo-Realistic

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Google Earth blog, the company has updated the 3D buildings for New York City and the results are rather impressive. These before and after pictures should to give you an idea just how far Google Earth has come in such a short time.

Thats great!! That coupled with the new street view feature in google maps as a part og google earth would be great!!

i was there (the second view) last April and have almost the same photo.
i think it's great, and a little disconcerting too.

how do they finance this insanity? i mean, google does everything IT has to offer and on epic scale...

The picture makes it look really good, I couldn't get my Google Earth to look "that" good, but it is a huge improvement.

There are graphical glitches all over the place though, something they'll have to work on (texture / reflection maps not actually on the building, etc.)

http://www.****************************/google_earth_error.jpg

They should hire Rockstar to make the NYC 3D map.

Google's trying to compete with Second Life, only Google wants to control the world both virtually and physically.

The engineers @ Google must have kicked ass in Sim City.

Uh oh here comes a hurricane!

I'd settle for having maps of my zip code from this decade. They've never updated.

Yeah. I live in the third largest city in my state. The images are 5-10 years old (based on the vehicle they show in my driveway that I totaled 5 years ago)

Wonder what I'm doing wrong... sure doesn't look that good on my screen. As it was, I had to go into nvidia control panel to turn on AA and get rid of the jaggies.
google.jpg

As far as I can tell, I maxed out every option.
google earth - 4.3.7284.3916 beta - directx 9 - vista x64 sp1

Absolutely extraordinary:
NewYork.jpg

Compressed a bit, but still looking good. As above, I forced anti-aliasing in the nVidia control panel.

Back