Google Dropping Support for Aging Browsers

As far as businesses are concerned, they are slaves to their software...sometimes ancient ones as the case may be. I remember one company that wanted to upgrade, but they were using some stupid revision of some program (old version of ACT or something, can't remember) that required the use of XP SP2. Yes, for some damn reason or other, SP3 broke the compatibility with that particular program! Whenever I do upgrades or plan a new system build for clients, it's usually assumed that they will need 7 Pro for the XP Mode virtualization...for all the stupid old programs from software companies that can't get their shit together and adapt to new operating systems. Because that would require *gasp* more programming and research!
The more specific the software, the more locked in the company will be. I've seen some asinine software requirements from such businesses as auto repair or lawyer programs. Licensing fees for doing everything, and archaic programming to boot.

fucking pisses me off to no end when I go to a website and it acts slow only to see that it's hanging up on google-analytics.com wtf!

just use http headers live and have a look. Like 20 sites selling shit to you.

Btw people old browsers WTF. Who cares about a simple string that can be edited. I can run firefox 2 and I can make google believe I'm running chrome 11. So I don't see what's the point.

Btw people old browsers WTF. Who cares about a simple string that can be edited. I can run firefox 2 and I can make google believe I'm running chrome 11. So I don't see what's the point.

Or. You could just like, use a new browser...

I think this is terrible. Consider that Microsoft is now forcing people to upgrade to a new OS if they want a new. Still have XP? Then no IE9 for you. Big Brother Jobs is even more controlling than Balmer and Gates combined so it probably won't be long till Apple forces OS/System upgrades to use newer versions of Safari.

Then don't use Safari or IE. Instead use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. Plenty of other choices that continue to support "outdated" OSes.

Then don't use Safari or IE. Instead use Firefox, Opera, or Chrome. Plenty of other choices that continue to support "outdated" OSes.

While I agree with this - I'm curious; is there some kind of underlying technology in W7 that XP lacks that makes IE9 incompatible with XP? I am all about the opinion of having people upgrade and not be using a fossil-based OS (lol), but I am curious as to what the actual reason MS has for making IE9 incompatible with XP.

While I agree with this - I'm curious; is there some kind of underlying technology in W7 that XP lacks that makes IE9 incompatible with XP? I am all about the opinion of having people upgrade and not be using a fossil-based OS (lol), but I am curious as to what the actual reason MS has for making IE9 incompatible with XP.

ms did people a favour with doing that. Do you really want to download another 1000 vulnerabilities and put that ontop of xps vulnerabilities? Woman uses IE coz they think Chrome is a search engine, Firefox is the IE of Linux and Safari is the IE OF Mac.

I can't imagine someone using Navigator doing anything of significance on the internet at all today.

I never said they were doing anything worthwhile in it! lol. Also it was running on an old PowerMAC (I think... those with the bright-colored translucient shells around the system and the circular mice with the same colors) I tried to upgrade them to OSX and found out their machine was too old!

Firefox is the IE of Linux

No acctually there is a native linux browser: on KDE it's Konquerer, and on Gnome it's Nautilus (I think) and they're basically the hole-y equivalent to MS's IE.

ms did people a favour with doing that.

er...yeah I know but that wasn't my question. I'm all for what MS did and what google is doing. I'm wondering, though, if there is any actual technical reason why IE9 "can't" work with XP - compatibility wise. I don't really care, I'm a happy Windows 7 user. I'm just wondering is all.

er...yeah I know but that wasn't my question. I'm all for what MS did and what google is doing. I'm wondering, though, if there is any actual technical reason why IE9 "can't" work with XP - compatibility wise. I don't really care, I'm a happy Windows 7 user. I'm just wondering is all.

they are forcing the GPU acceleration part is my bet, since in XP there is no really 3D acceleration in the desktop (DWM), it means with IE9 if they wanted to enable 3D acceleration, they have to build some kind of path between the browser and the GPU, more code to implement that will just slow down their development, since its a business, they will take the fastest route to develop, I doubt they would give more time to an already phased out OS, in these times , if you are complaining why something is not running in XP, then complain as well why it is not running in 98/95/3.1

I like what google has done, most of the complaining I've seen are just from people who are still pushing XP, but honestly, its good since it forces developers to focus always on new tech, and avoid lazy ones imo, your company still using old tech? the IT in a company must always focus on new tech to better the company. improve always.

Back