Google Developing OS For Internet Of Things

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Google is working on a new Android-based operating system specifically for the Internet of Things.

Google wants its software to power any electronic device that connects to the Internet, whether or not it has a digital screen. To that end, Google is working on technology that could run on low-powered devices, possibly with as few as 64 or 32 megabytes of random-access memory, according to people who have been briefed about the project.

Makes my old 16 MB ram Pentium 90 seem kind of sad when a toaster or fridge will have way more computing power.

Makes my old 16 MB ram Pentium 90 seem kind of sad when a toaster or fridge will have way more computing power.

Those devices don't t need the computing power to function, they need it to send ever increasing data points about you to Google. I don't trust them, I'll stick to small Linux builds for my IoT network.

This isn't surprising. MS is working on a windows 10 build for IoT
Still waiting on someone to make an appliance that actually has real features, instead of wow/useless ones.

I thought WebOS was going to be the OS of choice for washer/dryer combo machines. How am I supposed to do my laundry when I don't have internet on my washer or dryer?

/iot bs hype for bs stock rallies to but bs money on pockets of people who bs a lot

Just something else to break and cost big $ to fix.

Better solution is to buy a decent/reasonably priced appliance that does what you need with as little technology as possible.

Didn't they announce this 4 years ago? I could have sworn they did it based around home automation before IoT was an accepted term. It disappeared shortly after.

Somewhere in the bowels of Google's vast campus, a team of engineers just got a new lease on life.

Didn't they announce this 4 years ago? I could have sworn they did it based around home automation before IoT was an accepted term. It disappeared shortly after.

Somewhere in the bowels of Google's vast campus, a team of engineers just got a new lease on life.

Found it: http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/10/google-announces-android-at-home-framework/

Android@Home

I like the sound of a "Google free home".

I should probably throw my phone outside right now as well.

Back