Google Desktop now supports 64-bit Windows!

DogChainX

[H]ard|Gawd
I couldn't find that this has been posted...

Google Desktop (ver5.9) now supports 64-bit Windows environments.

I've had this previously installed on Vista 64bit and there were quite a number of bugs (not indexing drives, not refreshing the index, using 99% of 1 cpu core, etc).

Now with version 5.9 Google has added 64bit Windows OS support.

Now I can finally find that stupid advertisement among +5,000 designs!

Could you please name me 1 reason to use Google Desktop on Windows Vista or 7.

I remember using Google Desktop years ago; completely forgot about it. Vista and Windows 7 have great search indexing already so there is hardly any benefit anymore. However, I do recall being able to login to my computer with GD remotely and do searches and downloads. That was a cool feature, I wonder if I have any use for it anymore.

how faster can it get?

Vista search is already in seconds.

Doesn't vista search not index some stuff by default?

for the record, i use vista search. Google Desktop has caused a lot of issues for me

Could you please name me 1 reason to use Google Desktop on Windows Vista or 7.

They got rid of the always-there Vista sidebar in Win7 (now it's gadgets on the desktop only).

I know it is detested by minimalist/speed freaks but that's not me any more. I got a lot of use out of the full calendar showing all of the time / google calendar & tasks gadgets, mini calculator, and especially the scratch pad. Especially when working from home on the work lappy.

I swapped back to google desktop for Win7 as a substitute. Haven't used it in years.

You can easily add folders on other partitions/drives into Vista index to allow the search bar results from their also. Google Desktop is just one more piece of unecessary bloatware. W7 search is even better.

I'm not going to get dragged into flame bait of which is better. For me, Google Desktop works a lot better than Vista or 7 search results.

Also I thought Google Desktop could take advantage of Windows index's...am I right?

good to know.
i hate vistas indexing service, over time it started slowing down my pc, disabled search/indexing service completely, and it still found ways to run in the background, i think i got it now, but you never know with vista, you disable something and it always magically enables (for me anyways).

any external source that i can remove with a click, is good enough for me.

Google Desktop works better for me than Vista/7's search. Thought at least someone would like to know...

Please give me one situation where it's "better"...

good to know.
i hate vistas indexing service, over time it started slowing down my pc, disabled search/indexing service completely, and it still found ways to run in the background, i think i got it now, but you never know with vista, you disable something and it always magically enables (for me anyways).

I highly doubt that. Perhaps it's from all the random apps you install that you think will somehow work better?

I highly doubt that. Perhaps it's from all the random apps you install that you think will somehow work better?

your talking to the wrong guy.

i didn't say i used google desktop.

no random apps for me, clean as a whistle, it is indexing on my machine that slows it down, i already tested everything else.

as soon as i disabled it, no more problems.

indexing is scheduled to start at certain times, and those were the times my pc would lag and freeze up, i manually use indexing services when i need to.

trust me, it was the indexing service.

Last edited:

Google's search results for file names that include multiple words and spaces seem faster and are a lot more relevant.

Vista 's takes extra time to pull up and even then doesn't list the files that I'm looking for.

Back