Google Demands Shut Down of Microsoft's YouTube App

Except it has long been established in IP media fields that modifying content that is supplied to you under license agreement...where there is expressed objection to any modification....simply doesn't fly.

Which is why Cable boxes don't allow any 3rd party gadgetry that actually removes commercials from their programming stream. DVRs and fast forwarding are put up with, as they don't actually remove anything, most of the time...they just let you fast forward.

Haha what? So, you are expected to PAY for your TV service but even after giving them money for said content, you accept that you have no right to remove ads? Stupid is an understatement, you're not even asking for a lubricant, you insist on dry penetration.

Haha what? So, you are expected to PAY for your TV service but even after giving them money for said content, you accept that you have no right to remove ads? Stupid is an understatement, you're not even asking for a lubricant, you insist on dry penetration.

Dude. That is what the law says.

It has been that way for decades. Why do you think even before digital signals you couldn't automatically VHS record a show without commercials? The tech sure as hell existed to do it. It isn't for want ot trying. LOTS of people invented widgets to do just that....and all of them were put out of business.

The real problem is going to be the content providers who will only let videos on with ads in place. It bugs the shit out of me I can watch a video on my laptop but can't on my phone, and I am smart enough to not blame google for this. It's the providers who pick and choose how you can watch things. MS thinks they can bypass because they have such a massive mobile presence. Oh wait. Essentially the 50 people who were swindled into windows phones will be blocked. Much ado about nothing really.

Oh wait. Essentially the 50 people who were swindled into windows phones will be blocked. Much ado about nothing really.

There a ton of YouTube apps for Windows Phone and that don't show ads and allow for video downloads. There's nothing Microsoft has done here really that hasn't been on Windows Phone since it launched.

There a ton of YouTube apps for Windows Phone and that don't show ads and allow for video downloads. There's nothing Microsoft has done here really that hasn't been on Windows Phone since it launched.

You can't be that dense. Obvious difference between a big corp doing it and no-name developers with twelve downloads on their crappy youtube clone app. How long are you going to keep repeating that?

I think Microsoft is doing it on purpose to bring to light the tactics Google uses to in order to make Android more popular. They use Maps and YouTube as leverage. Something Microsoft did with operating systems and office suites, which they got into a little bit of trouble for. It's the only reason I can come up with as to why MS is poking the bear.

Eh, not buying it. Windows Phone is still a new platform, and like it or not it has very few users. Android also has had majority market share longer than Windows Phone has even existed, so claiming this is Google's tactic is completely ignoring the timeline of events.

Google has YouTube and Maps on iOS, so you can't claim they are using it as "leverage for Android" as they clearly aren't. Hell, iOS got the new version of Maps *before* Android, they are very clearly not favoring their own platform to the exclusion of others.

Windows Phone users can use m.youtube.com, which works just fine on Windows Phone. It's all the same content with all the same features, you just don't get as much "native goodness". But there isn't much of that in YouTube regardless.

You can't be that dense. Obvious difference between a big corp doing it and no-name developers with twelve downloads on their crappy youtube clone app. How long are you going to keep repeating that?

There seem to be some in this thread that think the Microsoft YouTube app is the only one for Windows Phone and that is not the case. And some those "crappy clones" that you refer to are very popular apps like MetroTube and have been downloaded millions of times combined.

There seem to be some in this thread that think the Microsoft YouTube app is the only one for Windows Phone and that is not the case. And some those "crappy clones" that you refer to are very popular apps like MetroTube and have been downloaded millions of times combined.

So they should be happy they're small enough Google hasn't sent them a C&D yet. What's your point?

So they should be happy they're small enough Google hasn't sent them a C&D yet. What's your point?

His point is quite simply what it is in every thread that mentions Microsoft. They are the bestest and can do no wrong. What's new? Once him and the other 49 guys who bought a windows phone get blocked they will espouse how very evil Google is. It's delicious irony marinated in tears with a side of butthurt. I'm all for Google blocking any windows mobile device in any form just for the lols at this point.

His point is quite simply what it is in every thread that mentions Microsoft. They are the bestest and can do no wrong. What's new? Once him and the other 49 guys who bought a windows phone get blocked they will espouse how very evil Google is. It's delicious irony marinated in tears with a side of butthurt. I'm all for Google blocking any windows mobile device in any form just for the lols at this point.

My point is that I've had several YouTube apps on my Windows Phones that allow for video downloads and don't show ads for years now and if this app gets yanked so what? Not really sure why some people are having a tizzy over a simply statement of reality.

Back