Google data center switching to AMD?

filip

2[H]4U
Some rumor that I happened to stumble on today is that Google may be adopting Epyc in their servers.

Check out the link

If this proves to be true AMD is really taking share from Intel in an Epyc way.

Here is a article that dives into the rumors.

I cross my fingers.for the change though. not because i like AMD but because it will balance out some revenue and keep the competition going.

My guess is they will be adding AMD servers, not replacing everything. Like Amazon did... Still AMD making inroads into the server market is great for competition.

Its a leap to go from "not happy with Intel" to replacing their considerable infrastructure with AMD stuff
If they do though, what a win for AMD

They will not be replacing their infrastructure. If this is true they will be using AMD going forward, back in February google announced they where investing 13 billion in data centers, that could be going to AMD.

My guess is they will be adding AMD servers, not replacing everything. Like Amazon did... Still AMD making inroads into the server market is great for competition.

At some point it makes more sense to actually replace servers which are ~6 years old. Speed and power savings, without having to build a new DC around it. In that case, I would say they're replacing. I doubt they're pulling out Intel chips that they just installed.

Yeah, basically what I said without the tweet. I even mentioned others have done so already.

They will not be replacing their infrastructure. If this is true they will be using AMD going forward, back in February google announced they where investing 13 billion in data centers, that could be going to AMD.
Holy shit what does 13 billion in data centers look like?

Holy shit what does 13 billion in data centers look like?
Probably renovations to 10 existing data centers, removing old servers replacing those with new AMD instances, upgrades to cooling, security, adding improved GPU capabilities and then maybe 1 or 2 new buildings. Probably somewhere with a cold climate that is currently selling bulk electricity on the cheap.

last time a datacenter was being upgraded we were able to buy 8 core xeons for 60 dollars.

who knows what this may bring.
They will probably trash/recycle more of those than sell at this point unless you mean random Google employees stealing parts and listing them on Ebay privately.

They will probably trash/recycle more of those than sell at this point unless you mean random Google employees stealing parts and listing them on Ebay privately.
Well, most of the "recycling" that goes on with computer components is not "melt them down for scrap" but "sell the working stuff on ebay." I imagine Google selling off the stuff to a recycler, who then promptly parts everything out and lists for sale as "refurbished."

When we decom a server, we use the rule:
Current gen + -1 gen = reuse.
- 2 gen = sold to hardware broker (after data sanitization)

Yea, I'm in the boat hoping for another glut of decent server parts for cheap.
I've never, not once been able to find this magical cheap parts for... Anything, not just computers. Some stuff like used super caps i looked for months a time. Computer parts, never.. only find used useless shit over priced. Either im looking wrong, or got shit for luck. Honestly I just get pissed at videos that are like , I got XYZ for 5 cents at ebay, flea market or whatever.. gave it a paint job, and now I have a dining set for 20$.
Suuure I will be waiting for those cheap google server parts. (I do believe you, its just that I think its just suoer lucky)

I've never, not once been able to find this magical cheap parts for... Anything, not just computers. Some stuff like used super caps i looked for months a time. Computer parts, never.. only find used useless shit over priced. Either im looking wrong, or got shit for luck. Honestly I just get pissed at videos that are like , I got XYZ for 5 cents at ebay, flea market or whatever.. gave it a paint job, and now I have a dining set for 20$.
Suuure I will be waiting for those cheap google server parts. (I do believe you, its just that I think its just suoer lucky)

The broker is in business....not charity....just like tech companies....they price accordingly to what the market can bear.

Back