Google Data Center 360 Tour

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Learn about the massive scale, the incredible attention to security and privacy, and the amazing efforts to make the data center extremely efficient and green.

Was that a security guard hanging out with them in every location?

Was that a security guard hanging out with them in every location?
Yeah part of me thinks it was some thinly veiled attempt to suggest "you cant break in here, look we have security guards everywhere!"

Am I the only one who couldn't quite stand the presenter? Comes off waaay too PR'ey.

That was a film on big business words. I think they should think outside the box more.

Been in one of those facility as a contractor. no guard following around, however you cannot take pictures/videos, you have to request it and a google employee takes the photos. they then have to be processed through another individual before they can leave the facility.

The dialog was incredibly natural and not scripted in anyway.

Exactly!

I've worked in several large datacenters, and I can tell you he was only allowed to go into the "presentation ready" areas. Everything perfectly cable managed, everything looking perfect and professional. That is not what 99% of the other data centers in the world look like.

Real Datacenters are Diesel Generators everywhere, cooling pipes and Liebert HVACs everywhere, cabling popping out of everywhere. Cages and wobbly floor tiles. Piles of boxes and cables accumulating and growing (no matter what the data center rules are about "boxes").

I also LOL'ed at "Carbon Neutral". That just means Google bought a bunch of carbon credits, haha.

Back