TechLarry
RIP [H] Brother - June 1, 2022
- Joined
- Aug 9, 2005
- Messages
- 30,481
"You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook"
Well, that makes it pretty much useless.
Well, that makes it pretty much useless.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
"You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook"
Well, that makes it pretty much useless.
"You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook"
Well, that makes it pretty much useless.
"You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook"
huh...using Windows 7 x64 and the webcast says I need to install WM 11...
I think that the big question is, "Where is the niche for this?"
If you look at linux-based netbooks, they were never much cheaper than their Windows counterpart, and the nice little bonuses that they provided were never really seen as worth the savings versus the versatility of a windows OS.
I can see these being used for corporate client kiosks of some kind. Like the laptops that Circuit City employees used to carry around just before they closed, used as a portal for accessing stock levels and contacting the warehouse to get a TV.
While simple, I just cannot see a good reason for all of the compromises and limitations one makes to get that simplicity.
After all, what about watching movies off of a DVD, or listening to a music CD? Or ripping them for storage and use later on the system?
YouTube/Hulu/Pandora/Zune.net/Last.fm/imeem/etc.
Photoshop.com.
Any computing type device that becomes useless when offline is useless to me.
The primary reason for a netbook type device is when I am away from civilization/internet.
Few things:
A) Google is clearly trying to say they are no interested in competing with Microsoft or Apple in General OS market. They emphasize the need for a secondary OS to make sure people understand that they have no intention of going after Microsoft or Apple's market (which would be pointless afterall). By calling it a secondary OS, they avoid the talk about the whole marketshare things and the Apps available by claiming they are in an entirely different market. Smart decision on Google's part
B) Whatever Chrome OS does can be done on a stripped down version of Windows or OSX. If there is a need, both Apple and Microsoft could create a version of their OS with their respective browsers as the main app (Safari and IE) and release it to the market
Overall it feels like Google is trying to create a market and dominate it in that respect. While it is important to be a visionary especially in this industry, what they have chosen to compete in is something that can be replicated easily by Apple and Microsoft but not the other way around. Microsoft has a OS, web apps (Hotmail, Calendar, My Phone, Bing). Apple has a OS, they have extensive experience by now in mobile OS as well and they could create an online infrastructure if they need to
It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. I think it'll be a failure but I could be wrong
This is a reasonable analysis of the situation, but you can get cheap netbooks now with a Chrome browser and a WHOLE lot more. So I ask, what is the point? One could say better security and more stability being a nothing OS, and that is a good selling point, if you're a complete tech idiot, which a lot of people are.
I could see this being sold to people who just want something simple and no worry of malware.
I'm not saying this concept is useless; far from it. I see it as a bigger version of a smartphone where an average bandwidth allows you to do enough over the web to get over basic functions
My point is about the success of this product. This OS is something that can be done easily by Apple or Microsoft if they intend to do so (In fact, Apple's rumored Tablet might be something close) and if they feel threatened by Chrome OS. Both of these companies have a working OS that are installed on millions of computers worldwide. They have many APIs available and many developers to support their platform (or they can do it the Google way with no apps)
Google knows very clearly that they have no chance of winning over Microsoft or Apple's market which is general OS hence they have decided to create a different market and compete in that which is smart and good. The problem is that this market can be easily entered and dominated by Apple and Microsoft
PS: I should have proof read my previous post. Full of grammar errors! fail!
I was basically agreeing with you. But this "new" market, I just don't see it, or at least I don't see where there is a need that hasn't been addressed long ago. Couldn't I just pick up and Windows 7 netbook TODAY, install the Chrome browser and have the SAME thing? In fact if all I did was stick to cloud stuff and didn't run local apps, I wouldn't even have to worry much about malware, which IS a benefit of the Chrome OS.
Who said anything about wireless rates? You're adding a dimension to the argument that ordinarily doesn't come into play unless you're on an airplane or if you're using some sort of phone network adapter and a pay-per-byte plan for your wireless access. You're assuming a lot here.I want to watch MY content, not stream other content at exorbitant rates over wireless connection. Certainly not pay those rates to edit my own photos that exist on my own storage.
But not necessarily useless to others. That's the point here.Any computing type device that becomes useless when offline is useless to me.
Again, I don't why you're bringing up the concept of paying for "wireless bandwidth" as an argument against cloud computing as a whole. Chrome OS itself has nothing to do with potential wireless bandwidth costs.Seriously, you have to be a world class idiot to spend money on wireless bandwidth to do tasks that could be done locally on the machine for free.
But not necessarily useless to others. That's the point here.
Again, I don't why you're bringing up the concept of paying for "wireless bandwidth" as an argument against cloud computing as a whole. Chrome OS itself has nothing to do with potential wireless bandwidth costs.
Not with Gears. You lose a lot of functionality, but not everything.Actually from what I'm reading it does become useless to EVERYONE when its not connected.
No, that's a poor analogy. If access to gasoline was often free, it would become much less of an issue.For an always connected OS that's like saying to cost of gas has nothing to do with a car.
Not with Gears. You lose a lot of functionality, but not everything.
No, that's a poor analogy. If access to gasoline was often free, it would become much less of an issue.
Quick question I'll pose to you: how often are you paying by the byte for wireless internet access?
Can you play DVD's through a browser?