• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Chrome OS Webcast

Hate to say but I sort of hope this OS fails hard.

If Computer users really became fragmented among multiple different Operating Systems (more so than the tiny and insignificant number of Linux and Mac OS users) I think that is one thing that has serious potential to harm the computer industry as we know it.

Like Microsoft or not, having the same OS on 90%+ of the computers out there makes a lot of things possible and a lot more things a lot easier.
 
Watching it now, I don't see Google giving people an OS they really want. Google wants to give people a dumb terminal, not a computer. "In ChromeOS every application is a web application." That's not an OS if you ask me.
 
I have to agree I was hoping they would release an OS not a portal to Google world, and as always its very minimalistic. That may work for a lot of peopl ebut not me.
 
Watching it now, I don't see Google giving people an OS they really want. Google wants to give people a dumb terminal, not a computer. "In ChromeOS every application is a web application." That's not an OS if you ask me.

It's still an OS in the strict sense. You'll need drivers, file management, etc.

I agree that it will be a dumb terminal, but many people buy a computer just to go onto the web.
 
Looks pretty good. I could definitely see people using this. I wonder about price.
 
Google wants to give people a dumb terminal, not a computer. "In ChromeOS every application is a web application." That's not an OS if you ask me.

+1, what he says. OTOH, I still think it looks pretty good for an OS...
 
Wow, I was kind of excited for this OS until they spoke about it.

So not for me.

I like having things local and doing things offline. They talk a lot about doing everything on the web. But the examples they give make it sound like they are selling to teenage girls who crave instant updates for twitter and facebook and youtube.

What about those of us who like to transcode video and have a media center style PC? They spoke about games but I dont see people playing Dragon Age or something through the cloud.

Dont even get me started on information privacy!

This is not for the majority of people who know how to use a computer.
 
We are working with the top OEMs to come to market. "You will have to go and buy a Chrome OS machine in the market. Our target time frame is end of next year." Ahead of holiday season with devices in the market.

Still a while away.
 
Can someone install a different browser?

Apparently not. LOL. It is funny the way he answered that. Firefox could get the code and release the Firefox OS but basically google chrome is inextricably tied into the OS.

Uh-OH :eek:

We all know what happens when you're big and tie the web browser to the OS.

Yes yes I know this works a bit differently but still. Should be interesting.
 
After having to jump through hoops to remove google update after I installed Chrome browser I am never installing another google app again. Google claimed that the update.exe is removed when you uninstall their apps and it never was. Apparently it doesn't matter if you remove the service or the autorun because the updater actually runs as a task from task manager and it is set to do that from every user account so had to do jump through all the hoops twice and remove the exe from each user account and the task from task manager too.
 
Can someone install a different browser?

Apparently not. LOL. It is funny the way he answered that. Firefox could get the code and release the Firefox OS but basically google chrome is inextricably tied into the OS.

Uh-OH :eek:

We all know what happens when you're big and tie the web browser to the OS.

Yes yes I know this works a bit differently but still. Should be interesting.

The web browser is the os..
 
Come on guys, what did you expect? Google doesn't care about local computing. They basically are trying to set you back ten years in functionality, play it off as cool and then hope you don't care.

I'm not saying that this is cut/ or bad per se as a lot of people only need web based stuff but you really do lose a lot if you ever want to do other things.
 
Its just something for the netbook field.. its not the end of the world if you put this os on your netbook.. they already said this is not replacing the desktop.
 
Come on guys, what did you expect? Google doesn't care about local computing. They basically are trying to set you back ten years in functionality, play it off as cool and then hope you don't care.

I'm not saying that this is cut/ or bad per se as a lot of people only need web based stuff but you really do lose a lot if you ever want to do other things.
This. Dumb terminals made sense in the days when a "computer" was the size of a room. Today, that power is in a tiny box. There's no need for a dumb terminal today. I'll stick to Linux thanks.
 
Can someone install a different browser?

We all know what happens when you're big and tie the web browser to the OS.

the browser IS the OS......
where Xerox and M$ and Apple did the window thing.... Google is looking to shift the paradigm from a system with windows (generic) to tabs in a browser....
 
Come on guys, what did you expect? Google doesn't care about local computing. They basically are trying to set you back ten years in functionality, play it off as cool and then hope you don't care.

I'm not saying that this is cut/ or bad per se as a lot of people only need web based stuff but you really do lose a lot if you ever want to do other things.

That's the point - you have computers at home if you want to do "other things."
 
Ummm. That is useless. I do spend a lot of time in browsers windows, but I also spend a lot of time out of them. Also I have massive database of my photography, my music collection, my video collection. I need tools to edit my photos, use my content and I am not putting all my content online.

This will have to be more than just a browser, heck it seems even more limited than android.
 
Ummm. That is useless. I do spend a lot of time in browsers windows, but I also spend a lot of time out of them. Also I have massive database of my photography, my music collection, my video collection. I need tools to edit my photos, use my content and I am not putting all my content online.

This will have to be more than just a browser, heck it seems even more limited than android.

Google is aiming for this device to be a COMPLIMENTARY device (since it's going to be installed on a NETBOOK), not a PRIMARY machine.
 
Its just something for the netbook field.. its not the end of the world if you put this os on your netbook.. they already said this is not replacing the desktop.

This was my understanding as well, well before this webcast. For netbooks I think it looks pretty good.
 
Does anyone remember the old MSN back when Windows 95 came out? This reminds me of that old MSN now that I think about the browser being the OS.
 
Google is aiming for this device to be a COMPLIMENTARY device (since it's going to be installed on a NETBOOK), not a PRIMARY machine.


I wouldn't buy a netbook that wouldn't let me play movies/music, edit my photos.

The primary reason for a netbook type device is when I am away from civilization/internet.
 
YouTube/Hulu/Pandora/Zune.net/Last.fm/imeem/etc.
Photoshop.com.
What if you're on an airplane? ;D

(Yes, I know, soon we'll have in-flight net access, but for those who may still not have it available or don't want to pay the ridiculous fees airlines will likely charge)
 
That's the point - you have computers at home if you want to do "other things."

But I wouldn't want to depend on network connectivity ESPECIALLY away from home for things that I've been doing locally since the beginning. I there's Gears for that but honestly I don't think the Cloud is going to play out like Google wants.

There's simply too much power on local devices know to ignore.
 
YouTube/Hulu/Pandora/Zune.net/Last.fm/imeem/etc.


Photoshop.com.

The cloud works best will remote services and data and local execution and data redundancy. Pulling the same data over and over a network is dumb.
 
Google is aiming for this device to be a COMPLIMENTARY device (since it's going to be installed on a NETBOOK), not a PRIMARY machine.

this, I am not sure what everyone expected. this was suppose to be a minimal OS to enable connectivity. and as for not playing content and such I would not worry, there will be plenty of apps coming for it.

from what I have heard this OS is going to be pretty good for what its designed to do. people were just expecting something else apparently
 
Some people are missing the purpose entirely.

The OS is a web browser for netbooks. End of story.

Since I first starting surfing the internet, all I ever wanted to do was turn my computer on and surf the internet; 14 years ago that took 6 minutes. Now I keep my computer in suspend because I can't stand the 1 minute it takes me to open a browser. Finally someone makes a computer thats just a web browser, and makes it FREE, THANK GOODNESS!!!

Obviously google understands people also want to do other stuff than surf, google says you have a computer for that already, the new netbooks will surf faster & better.

This is an amazing beginning because they already have a very functional OS that does something everyone wants. Eventually google can bring an OS that replaces your current OS, but give them a BREAK in the mean time; they are offering the OS for FREE.
 
Yes, I know, soon we'll have in-flight net access, but for those who may still not have it available or don't want to pay the ridiculous fees airlines will likely charge
There are a lot of "what ifs", but that's why conventional OSes still exist. This seems geared toward those who don't have to ask "what if". It's ahead of its time, I think, but I think this is just an example of Google attempting to be at the forefront of a market they want to have their hands in.

I'm not sure I'd get a Chrome OS netbook myself, but I think the concept works well for tablets. If they get it right, a small tablet PC could become a formidable computing device and certainly a step above smartphones.

The cloud works best will remote services and data and local execution and data redundancy. Pulling the same data over and over a network is dumb.
It makes little difference if the execution is fast enough to meet user expectations. I'm not saying cloud-based computing is better, but that cloud-based computing can serve many purposes quite well.
 
So I watched the Google Chrome OS Webcast we told you about earlier and it was, for lack of a better word, boring. Here are some of the highlights:

*Google has released the Chrome OS source code
*The Chrome OS will more or less look like Google's Chrome brower.
*Every application on the Chrome OS will be a web application.
*You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook
*The code for Chrome OS is "fully open."
*Chrome OS is "about a year away."
 
It makes little difference if the execution is fast enough to meet user expectations. I'm not saying cloud-based computing is better, but that cloud-based computing can serve many purposes quite well.

I said works BEST. Sure a totally connected scenario works and may even work well but not in all situations.
 
After having to jump through hoops to remove google update after I installed Chrome browser I am never installing another google app again. Google claimed that the update.exe is removed when you uninstall their apps and it never was. Apparently it doesn't matter if you remove the service or the autorun because the updater actually runs as a task from task manager and it is set to do that from every user account so had to do jump through all the hoops twice and remove the exe from each user account and the task from task manager too.

GoogleUpdate is used for some other apps too, like Google Earth. Maybe you had another google App on your PC and thats why it stayed.
 
So I watched the Google Chrome OS Webcast we told you about earlier and it was, for lack of a better word, boring. Here are some of the highlights:

*Google has released the Chrome OS source code
*The Chrome OS will more or less look like Google's Chrome brower.
*Every application on the Chrome OS will be a web application.
*You won't be able to download Chrome OS on an existing notebook
*The code for Chrome OS is "fully open."
*Chrome OS is "about a year away."

This is utter garbage.
 
They give you a link to use RealPlayer. Bad Google! BAD!
 
I don't have time to watch this, did anyone catch what the offline functionality was? I can see the post about it but I can't believe that you can't use some of the web apps offline. Several people discussing it but surely some of the items will be available (MP3 playing, local videos, word processing)
 
Back
Top