• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Buying Intel Severs Again

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
It looks like Intel has won back Google’s servers business by creating custom equipment for the search giant.

Google has begun buying Intel server components in high volume, said Pat Gelsinger, a co-general manager of Intel's Digital Enterprise Group, speaking about the Google relationship on an internal Intel blog entry Wednesday seen by CNET News.com. "We're in business with the volume systems ramp under way," he said.
 
Google was pushing hard for lower power and heat for their massive clusters.. Both Intel and AMD improved on that front but I imagine that Intel's current performance lead and ability to produce in volume one out in the end.
 
I was waiting for someone to point out my SEVERS - SERVERS title flub ;)

You guys are slacking !


I think it's worse when you catch your own mistakes after you typed up the article and dont change it ;) :D


I wonder why google prefers intel boxes?
 
I wonder why google prefers intel boxes?

I don't think it's a matter of them prefering Intel boxes, but of how cheap a deal Intel makes them. It's the standard mode of operation for Intel in corporate sales, to lowball their competition(or "sweeten the deal") to get a major contract win while they set regular prices for the regular customers.(everyone else besides major corporations/businesses) In the end, if they still sell enough of them they make a decent profit, a fairly well known selling tactic to keep the competition out of those kinds of contract wins, that they've been doing for years and not just to AMD either. I know Intel is hell bent on reclaiming lost share to AMD's Opteron over the past few years and probably at any price.(even to the point of a loss I feel)

Make no mistake though, Google still has plenty of Opteron racks in it's server rooms though. For a company as big as Google, they will get whatever is the best they can afford at the best price, reguardless of it's AMD or Intel, a wise business man can't be afford to be picky when 100% of your business relies on servers/workstations. I also fully expect to see some more AMD contract wins for servers to Google when K8L (Barcelona) is released in 2Q07.
 
Back
Top