• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Google Benefits From Piracy?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Joined
Dec 31, 1969
Messages
0
Major media companies have accused Google of benefiting from piracy. According to sworn affidavits, Google representatives had a close relationship with at least two movie pirating sites and sold the sites advertising.

The media companies, which the paper said include News Corp., Viacom Inc., Sony Corp., General Electric Co.'s NBC Universal, Time Warner Inc. and Walt Disney Co., allege that Google deliberately directed traffic to Web sites that were engaged in fostering piracy, the paper said, citing people familiar with the matter.
 
Of course they do. Anywhere that has ads by Google benefits Google. Anyone that buys advertising on Google benefits Google.

What they're really accusing Google of doing is being neutral. They sell advertising to and advertise with anyone they legally can. Who the hell are the media companies to complain about immoral or unethical behavior.
 
It's true. I hate the media companies. I hate hearing them whine every other day. Starving artists? Mmm hmm. I'm sure.

Every industry has losses somewhere but the media companies think the nation, nay, the WORLD must hear about it as often as possible.

Piracy has been commonly happening for at least the past 20 years. It didn't bother me then, and oddly enough it doesn't now. Similarly, I've found I need SuperMegaMediaCorp far less than they need me.
 
Google sells its ads to whomever wants to have them. They are not the police, they need not be concerned with what their counterparty does.
 
In other news, the US Government is supported by murderers, child pornographers, and rapists who pay taxes.
 
It's true. I hate the media companies. I hate hearing them whine every other day. Starving artists? Mmm hmm. I'm sure.

Every industry has losses somewhere but the media companies think the nation, nay, the WORLD must hear about it as often as possible.

Piracy has been commonly happening for at least the past 20 years. It didn't bother me then, and oddly enough it doesn't now. Similarly, I've found I need SuperMegaMediaCorp far less than they need me.
It's every other day now? Hmm, I would have thought it was every day. :p

And as for piracy, per se, how do you think we got a lot of the technology from the industrial age? It came from Britian mostly. I guess our fathers before us were bigger pirates than us (I admit to nothing). ;)
 
Back
Top