Google Bans Non-Play Store App Updates

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has updated its terms and conditions agreement to make sure all updates are done through Google Play's update mechanism. Apparently the search giant was not happy about Facebook pushing updates on Android users.

After Facebook was found to be updating its Android app without using the Google Play store's update mechanisms, Google has clarified its terms and conditions to ensure no other developers attempt to circumvent its store. While Google has always outlawed "applications that cause users to unknowingly download or install applications from sources outside of Google Play," it's added a new sentence to its "Dangerous Products" section.

Good. That facebook autoupdate crap was not only highly suspicious, but also highly broken. Practically made headlines with how many botched updates hit phones. I promptly uninstalled facebook all together.

Good. That facebook autoupdate crap was not only highly suspicious, but also highly broken. Practically made headlines with how many botched updates hit phones. I promptly uninstalled facebook all together.

wish i could find the previous version's APK file

Good news, can't have every third party just updating their apps independently whenever they feel like, let alone morphing an approved app into malware after the fact.

fuck Apple and their walled garden called the App Store.

Oh wait.

;-)

And yes, I'm being obtuse on purpose

More like being dense on purpose. The day that stock, unrooted Apple devices have a side loading check box like Android's "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play store", you can come back and try again.

The more they do, the less appealing any of this stuff is to me. It doesn't matter if the "app store" has the name google, Microsoft, Apple, Android, or anything else. I'm not interested in the investment just so I can be lead by the nose having to ask "mother may I?" This kinda thing just takes all the fun out of it for me. I try to keep an open mind about some of it (I really do). I just don't care about this company vs. that company. My interest is peaked with the technology itself. It's kinda sad that it's all gone in this direction.

More like being dense on purpose. The day that stock, unrooted Apple devices have a side loading check box like Android's "Allow installation of apps from sources other than the Play store", you can come back and try again.

I see you left your sense of humor at home. I already said I was deliberately being obtuse. Lighten up.

wish i could find the previous version's APK file

I likely have it as I've got every update's worth saved to the SD Card Tell me which version you want.

1.9.7, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2.1, 2.3, 3.1

Back