Google Asked to Remove 1B “Pirate” Search Results in a Year

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google was asked to remove more than one billion pirate search results in 2016. That is over 1,900 search results per second, twenty four hours a day for three hundred and sixty five days straight. :eek:

Copyright holders asked Google to remove more than 1,000,000,000 allegedly infringing links from its search engine over the past twelve months. A new record, in line with the continued rise of takedown requests and the increase in pressure on Google to do more to tackle piracy. Copyright holders continue to flood Google with DMCA takedown requests, targeting “pirate links” in the company’s search results. In recent years the number of notices has exploded, breaking record after record.

If 1 BILLION take down notices have been given and complied with this year and it's still a problem then I will go out and say that the take down system doesn't work and they are wasting their time and money at this point and need to look for other solutions. 1 billion requests is an impossible amount to verify as legitimate requests as well.

If 1 BILLION take down notices have been given and complied with this year and it's still a problem then I will go out and say that the take down system doesn't work and they are wasting their time and money at this point and need to look for other solutions. 1 billion requests is an impossible amount to verify as legitimate requests as well.

The problem is under DMCA they just need to say "it was done in good faifh" and the judge goes along with it. It's hard to prove it was in bad faith, so the little guy is always on the losing end of the equation, you can win in court at high expense while the record mafia walks away with barely a scratch, nothing changes. The DMCA needs to be re-written so that the burden of proof is better balanced between parties, fighting against such rampant abuse.

Poor riampa peoples. The people creating all that pirated content don't care about google, google may be the easiest way to find a recipe or a nice sanitize list of information sites when your kid is doing their homework. More and more though its unreliable and unable to return useful results, never mind all the BS it pulls up. Don't trust what you read online, sure and throw out the first 10 google results.

I hope its costing google a fortune... its their own fault for entertaining such stupidity. They should have said buzz off and spent a few years in court if need be squashing the riaa mpaa.

I can't rememmber what movie I was searching a few months ago, but the first 3 links were torrent links when I was just looking for a release date cuz I couldn't remember if it was out or not.

And they complain about the relatively small amount of people that wants to be forgotten on Google?

other than google, bing and yahoo, what other search engine exist that is really good out there? metacrawler?

This.

Instead of wasting your money sending out a billion take down notices, how about you make it cheaper/easier for people get legally get the movies?

There are some people who would pirate a movie even if it was available for $1. Those people will never be customers, so they are not a lost sale.
It's the people who pirate because of the costs or because they can't get the movie/show in a format they want that they should be concerned with.

I don't want to spend $15 each, to subscribe to 15 different streaming sites, with 15 different restrictions on how/when I can view the shows.
I don't want a 'Live" only streaming either, as I rarely watch TV live unless it's the news.
I also want to be able to download/buffer the shows to be able to watch them later, like when I'm traveling.

Lower the cost to companies like Netflix, and make EVERYTHING available to them.
I could live with 2 separate streaming sites, one with movies/old series, and one with all the current shows available, as long as they where less than $20 each.

Back