Google Apparently Wants To Design Its Own Smartphone Chips

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
This sounds good to me, so long as they’re not prone to overheating issues.

The report says that during discussions that happened this fall, "Google representatives put forward designs of chips it was interested in co-developing, including a phone’s main processor." The new chips are reportedly needed for future Android features that Google hopes to release "in the next few years." By designing its own chips, Google can make sure the right amount of horsepower gets assigned to all the right places and remove bottlenecks that would slow down these new features.

Sounds great. Why not? Google's probably got the man power and money for it.

Of course it does. Google wants everything. Who are we to say anything? We welcomed our Google overlords a long time ago.

I think now is a good time to build a bunker... It's all over folks! Skynet is coming!!!

They want that full-stack ownership, from baremetal to app.

- create holding company
- co-develop new chip for new android features with another company
- test/develop/improve the chip w/unique features in android
- buy co-dev. partner out, and retain 100% ownership of chip company
- take android back by making android only work with their chips making it pointless to be available to 'anyone'

possible?

- create holding company
- co-develop new chip for new android features with another company
- test/develop/improve the chip w/unique features in android
- buy co-dev. partner out, and retain 100% ownership of chip company
- take android back by making android only work with their chips making it pointless to be available to 'anyone'

possible?

Why would they do that though? - they want everyone to have an android so they can mine & ad serve. If they could give them away they would.

It would be more likely they would make all the chip designs open source to reduce device costs.

Face it man, it's probably already on every smartphone already.

You suck out the code on phones and eventually figure that out. If its in the chips like those USB firmware based malware, you will never know without resources of an intel or AMD and they won't admit to touching a competitors shit.

Why would they do that though? - they want everyone to have an android so they can mine & ad serve. If they could give them away they would.

It would be more likely they would make all the chip designs open source to reduce device costs.

How would a chip designs being open source reduce costs?

Well, the claim with a lot of these things, chip dei=sign and such, is that it costs so much because of research costs. So if its open source, its kind of a way to get free help on it.

Problem with open source..and it will always be a problem, is you can never get a "highly polished product". That is the problem with too many Indians and not enough chiefs. Apple didn't get where the were by singing campfire songs and sharing their feelings.

Don't get me wrong..I love android and "open source", but as an engineer I also understand their limitations.

Back