Google Announces Brillo, an OS for the Internet of Things

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google is looking to the future. Not too far in the future mind you, since the Internet of Things is already upon us. Google (Android) along with collaborator Nest Labs, have developed an operating system for connected devices. Along with Brillo, the two partners have also announced Weave, a software tool to facilitate communication between devices.

Pichai noted the litany of devices soon to be plugged into the Internet — parking meters, airport kiosks, farm equipment. Google wants to make sure it is the backbone of this future.

Why not call it Skynet? I wouldn't want humanity to be destroyed in nuclear holocaust by something named Brillo.

Eh. Parking meters on the internet? I guess it'll help with tracking time and WiFi hotspots (if the city does it).

They have more advanced meters in downtown Las Vegas. But I wouldn't be doubtful if the future isn't in a meter that uses machine vision to capture both vehicle presence and license plate info. Expire? Ticket incoming!

And I'm sure its written on some new or absurdly complicated platform that makes impossible to use anything but google products or google sanctioned tools. In their typical selfish and narcissistic way, they will make sure that nobody can integrate anything without fully accepting google as their lord and savior blindly following them on the path to advertisement data mining heaven.

Back