Google, Amazon, Twitter and Facebook Consider 'Nuclear' Blackout

At least it was reworded several times instead of signed blindly. The indefinite detention sucked big time, but they made it so it doesn't apply to Americans. Small comfort considering the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile".

Exactly, especially when they wouldn't and definitely won't bat an eyelash to simply go ahead and revoke a person or group's citizenship if it suits them.

I joked on Facebook that we need to change the motto at Ellis Island from "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free so we can detain them indefinitely"

Right.

Minecraft.net and Mahjong.com are both going to follow along and blackout for #J18 #SOPA protest.

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread yet, but I'm curious as to why "Anonymous" isn't popping up in any news reports lately with words of doom and hellfire plastered on government websites. Perhaps that would only stoke the fire. Best not to deface the websites of our congressmen as they decide whether or not to shut down website defacing online groups.

I emailed Senator Boxer to ask her what her stance on PIPA was and got a canned response thanking me for my input.

I asked what her opinion was :p

What the hell can the individual do?

I hope they do it. I want to be working the day that they do, to see how much work will actually get done because people can't play on facebook -_-

Although it sounds that nothing will happen if FB or Twitter and Google etc shut down, but they also have business meaning - advertising, searching, providing storage and various services to other companies and customers and as well, milions of individuals, seems that when they are shut down, that will start the series of protests that will force the bill to be removed. Or these big companies will move out of US, not even 300 million people live in the US, and the number goes down by those using internet so if the US goverment thinks they can control internet they wont. If such a large corporations would leave US, its economy would be greatly fucked up.

Correct. The 4th branch of government doing it's thing, as usual.

NDAA signed and passed with a HUGE majority of Congress and Obama's signature. Look at who voted in favor of this, folks. Plenty of Rs and Ds.

Getting the picture yet? Probably not. Too late.

Yup...The only hope is for those provisions to get challenged in the courts.

Or these big companies will move out of US, not even 300 million people live in the US, and the number goes down by those using internet so if the US goverment thinks they can control internet they wont. If such a large corporations would leave US, its economy would be greatly fucked up.

lol, that would be a site to see. Music and Movie industries outsourcing.

lol, that would be a site to see. Music and Movie industries outsourcing.
Well infact they are going pretty much against themselves as well, publicity of artists goes like nothing via modern social media sites and that greatly increases their revenues and they are going against them because they also contain user created content.
The funny thing is, those who push all that anti piracy crap are recording/filming associations and so on, why? Aren't they rich enough, isn't almost everyone who has a music video a multi-millionaire. Isn't any movie star rich enough that they are building mansions in every place they like to go to? It's really showing that capatilsm is just starting to be high end communism in fact.

At least it was reworded several times instead of signed blindly. The indefinite detention sucked big time, but they made it so it doesn't apply to Americans. Small comfort considering the saying "give them an inch and they'll take a mile".

I joked on Facebook that we need to change the motto at Ellis Island from "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" to "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free so we can detain them indefinitely"

umm.. it does apply to american's..........they added that part in....

Monday, Jan 16 - House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has killed SOPA, stopping all action on it.

Monday, Jan 16 - House Majority Leader Eric Cantor has killed SOPA, stopping all action on it.

Not killed. Shelved. You can count on them rewording the bill and pushing it through Congress and Senate just like they did with NDAA.

Not killed. Shelved. You can count on them rewording the bill and pushing it through Congress and Senate just like they did with NDAA.

Yeah, bad choice of words on my part. Good news regardless I'd say.

they dont need to reword it, it already exists.... PIPA.

Exactly, just when the fight gets good people start to back away because they are lead into a false sense of security after winning one tiny tiny battle. The fight has just begun and this is one that will never end.

A nation based on simple freedoms expands finally to become a land where freedom seems guaranteed to all that inhabit it, and on that day, it took a turn back down to the path of dictatorship seeing that what it had done was irreversible.

at least site blacking out, some, provide info about SOPA and PIPA, as all you heard was SOPA SOPA SOPA!

Back