good VPN router that supports windows vpn client?

goodcooper

[H]F Junkie
anybody know of a good, sub $300 Router/VPN server that will support the VPN client builtin to windows without too much configuration?

i've been looking at the linksys RV042 and similar models, but these require (?) linksys/cisco's proprietary VPN clients, which i don't want...

i was told there was a certain trendnet branded router that worked great, but this is a $100 and i'm kind of weary of buying it... seems too good to be true...

anybody have any ideas? i have windows 2003 server behind the current router that does not support VPN passthrough... so if i need to i can just get a cheapy router that will support the passthrough, but i rather let the 'box' do it....

p.s., no modded WRT54G

Linksys/Cisco RV0 series...the 082 and 016 are my fave models.

They support both IPSec VPN..which requires their special software client, AND..they support standard PPTP VPN..using the native Windows clients since Win95b DUN1.2.(or 1.3..I forget that far back)

Linksys RV082

Does support native windows clients. Dual interfaces for WAN connections (load balancing) etc, etc. Put in a couple of them. Pretty easy if you know what your doing and haven't gotten a call on either yet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How about building a SFF PC and using that as a Linux router? That's what I have and it works very nicely. I haven't set VPN up yet though I actually probalby will be over the weekend to get access to my brother's SQL and SVN servers. Much more powerful than a modded WRT, and not terribly expensive. Just add a Gigabit switch ($30-40) and you're all set.

In addition to being able to run practically any Linux application available, you have access to some standard Linux features, incluidng the ability to use it as a wireless access point (using the right card, i.e. Atheros cards) and traffic control / packet shaping.

ktwebb:
yeoldestonecat:
i was looking at the RV082s, but i thought the only difference between those and the RV042s were that they could handle more users and they had an 8 port switch on them already...

i am getting conflicting info on whether or not the RV042s support microsofts VPN client... but you are saying the RV082s definitely do??? if so i'll get those...

Pyromaneyakk:
as far as using a SFF PC with linux... i rather have something more 'solid state'.... and with minimal configuration...

i have experience with IPCOP (that is what i run at the house) but i don't think that supports window's built in VPN client...

epia hardware is still too expensive in my opinion

EDIT: i just realized i have an RV042 in the trunk of my car :shifteyes: i'm sure nobody would mind if i took it home for the evening and saw how it worked with windows builtin vpn client :shiftyeyes:

I have used a D-Link DFL-200 in the past with no problems. We use the standard WinXP VPN client and no propietary software; however, D-Link will sell you licenses for their software if you want to use it.

*looks up DFL-200*

thanks man!!

checking these all out...

EDIT: DFL-200 looks great... reviews are rave and i'm seeing confirmation after confirmation that it works great with MS VPN client... we'll see how the RV042 works as its about 50 to 60 dollars cheaper, but i really don't think that is a big deal.... ~$215 for that dlink sounds fair, it even has a console port... nice!

For clarification...all 3x of the RV0 models, the 042, the 082, and the 016, fully 100% support standard PPTP VPN (which is what the native Microsoft VPN client utilizes)

The RV042 did not "originally" support PPTP VPN..but they added support for it about 2x firmware versions ago. It was not originally planned to support it.

Other differences, the RV042 only has a 233MHz CPU (or 266..I forget), and a little less RAM. The 082 has a 533MHz CPU and 32 megs of RAM, the 016 has 64 megs of RAM and the same 533MHz Intel CPU.

The 016 also supports up to 7x WAN connections feeding it.

I cannot personally confirm the reliability of the 042 PPTP VPN performance, but I can to the 082 and 016 units...as I've deployed several dozen of them to various clients of mine, and I use the PPTP VPN to remote in all the time. I even have a 082 at home...I love it, rock stable, and very fast.
Old screenshot of front setup page ===> http://www.speedguide.net/~brian/dualwan1.JPG

goodcooper said:
ktwebb:
yeoldestonecat:
i was looking at the RV082s, but i thought the only difference between those and the RV042s were that they could handle more users and they had an 8 port switch on them already...

i am getting conflicting info on whether or not the RV042s support microsofts VPN client... but you are saying the RV082s definitely do??? if so i'll get those...
EDIT: i just realized i have an RV042 in the trunk of my car :shifteyes: i'm sure nobody would mind if i took it home for the evening and saw how it worked with windows builtin vpn client :shiftyeyes:

YeOldeStonecat said:
For clarification...all 3x of the RV0 models, the 042, the 082, and the 016, fully 100% support standard PPTP VPN (which is what the native Microsoft VPN client utilizes)

The RV042 did not "originally" support PPTP VPN..but they added support for it about 2x firmware versions ago. It was not originally planned to support it.

Other differences, the RV042 only has a 233MHz CPU (or 266..I forget), and a little less RAM. The 082 has a 533MHz CPU and 32 megs of RAM, the 016 has 64 megs of RAM and the same 533MHz Intel CPU.

The 016 also supports up to 7x WAN connections feeding it.

I cannot personally confirm the reliability of the 042 PPTP VPN performance, but I can to the 082 and 016 units...as I've deployed several dozen of them to various clients of mine, and I use the PPTP VPN to remote in all the time. I even have a 082 at home...I love it, rock stable, and very fast.
Old screenshot of front setup page ===> http://www.speedguide.net/~brian/dualwan1.JPG

well that would explain the conflicting info :D tonight i'll update the firmware and test out that RV042... as far as processor and memory goes, it will PROBABLY only support 3 or 4 users connected simultaneously so i don't think the 042 will be underpowered... i'll check prices on the 082 as well... they already have a 16-port dell managed gigabit switch, so the added 8 port switch on the 082 is kind of useless....

maybe if i got that for them they'd let me take the DELL managed switch home :eek: lol fat chance of that

well i feel like i've got several good options here now guys... appreciate your help

whats nice about the dlink is that it supports multiple WAN addresses... but the linksys models have dual WAN ports which is nice...

I have deployed several dozen of the DFL-200's since they were released about 2yrs ago. All of the clients that I have running them love them. It also has most of the features that you would typically pay thousands of dollars for in an enterprise level router / firewall. Good luck to you and let us know what you decide on and how well you like it. I always like to try new hardware. :D

Back