Good user friendly software for burning back up copies of my games?

md262626

[H]ard|Gawd
Does any1 know of a good user friendly software so I can make back up copies of my p.c. games? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

**mod edit** - odoe: just cleaning up a little bit.

Yeah I appreciate your help on the suggestions. I believe I stated pretty clearly what my intentions for using such software would be but thanks for your concern. I think there are some misunderstandings or maybe I have it wrong about making copies. I've always operated under the pretext that it was permitted to make a back up copy for yourself of any data or music material. You just couldn't give or sell back up copies to anyone else. I'm trying to back up my games like COD, BF1942, AOM. Since we borrow each others discs there's no guarantee that your buddy will take care of your discs the same way you you would. Consequently, they get kinda beat up. The upside is you get to try out other games before you go out and buy one yourself. I tried the trial version of Alcohol 120% on COD and I got nothing but read errors when trying to burn the back up. I understand why game developers don't want people pirating their software, but putting encryption onto legitimately purchased games that make honest folks desires for making back up copies next to impossible isn't right either. I've already paid for the intellectual property once, and charging me $7.00/disc for replacement wear & tear discs when I could burn them for $ .50 isn't right either. Enough of the rant on my part. Anyone have any ideas why I get so many read errors using Alcohol 120%?

I have bought and use the lastest versions of CloneCD, Alcohol 120%, and Blindwrite. These three programs are the most widely used to back up games. Of them I would say that Blindwrite is the most noob friendly to use.

the finer points of your license agreement seem to have been overlooked
you might want to read it again

you "own" the CD
you do not "own" anything "on" the CD
it is licensed to you, for "your" use
and only to you
and cannot typically be transfered, loaned or reproduced for any of those reasons

however, you are allowed to protect your investment
namely your ability to access the software you hold a license for
which is why your allowed to "back it up"

the finer points of the law are applicable to this forum

and we, while not exactly happy to pass them on to the members
are none the less bound to.

no more talk of software leaving your immediate control ;)

Originally posted by digitalman
Becuase that is way the latest versions of Safedisc work.

A good place to learn is here.

http://forum.cdfreaks.com/

I'll give it a look? I'll also check out that Blindwrite to see if I can buy it off their website. I swear, I'm the least successful CD/R person on the planet, and I've got the pile of "coasters" to prove it:eek:

I backed up my copy of halo and it generated well over 100 errors when ripping it. Burning it and using safedisk emulation took care of it.

Originally posted by psychosonik
I backed up my copy of halo and it generated well over 100 errors when ripping it. Burning it and using safedisk emulation took care of it.

Well, after posting yesterday, I tried Alcohol 120 again using Safedisk 2,3 and produced another coaster......

Originally posted by Ice Czar
the finer points of your license agreement seem to have been overlooked
you might want to read it again

you "own" the CD
you do not "own" anything "on" the CD
it is licensed to you, for "your" use
and only to you
and cannot typically be transfered, loaned or reproduced for any of those reasons

however, you are allowed to protect your investment
namely your ability to access the software you hold a license for
which is why your allowed to "back it up"

the finer points of the law are applicable to this forum

and we, while not exactly happy to pass them on to the members
are none the less bound to.

no more talk of software leaving your immediate control ;)

Well I appreciate you clearing that up. I wasn't aware of the finer points of the licensing agreement.

Why wouldn't this site be unhappy to pass them on? I thought the purpose of this site and other's was to educate/share information with the community? Certainly you cleared up a couple things for me. Education stops ignorance............

Talk about backing up your games to your hearts content, but leave out any discussion about passing them out to your friends. It's illegal and not a topic for discussion here.

Originally posted by md262626
Why wouldn't this site be unhappy to pass them on?

Not the site,
me, and from observation other mods
however I cant speak for any other moderator or Admin

I often fine the finer details to be ludicrous
(like having to lock a thread because someone wanted to format a HDD
that just happened to start life in an XBox, violated DMCA)

But I not only agreed to the rules as a member
but as a mod to enforce them, due to the popularity of the site
its important we do it, regardless of how distasteful I might find it at times.

Because we are so strict about the "details"
in addition to the <cough> <cough> implied suggestions
(nods as good as a wink, say no more, say no more) :p

the forum is largely self regulating and new member have
more often then not, got the basics down from just reading threads

well most have :p

In short I personally disagree with many of the federal laws (DMCA)
I must by proxy enforce here (as a banned topic of discussion)

crafting a clever query will generally get you both the information you seek
and
obey the rules

Originally posted by odoe
Talk about backing up your games to your hearts content, but leave out any discussion about passing them out to your friends. It's illegal and not a topic for discussion here.

In his best Curly impression "Oh I love it when you guy's strong arm me."

I think you also misunderstood what I was saying. I don''t make copies and pass them out to friends. My friends and I share amongst ourselves our original gaming discs. Mine just get beat up in the process and I wanted to make copies of the originals for my personal back ups. Gaming companies charge $7.00/disc for replacements. Sheesh enough already, I be no software pirate, I swear officer. :D

Look fellas, I get the point. Close the thread if I've crossed the line here. It wasn't intentional:rolleyes:

I think Alcohol 120% is great for backing up CDs. I have a really slow CD drive, so its great for me to load the CD onto the Hard-drive, and run a virtual drive.

Also, isn't Safe-disc the protection that gives you fake read errors?

Well, after posting yesterday, I tried Alcohol 120 again using Safedisk 2,3 and produced another coaster......
I have a Premium drive also and I don't make coasters. What firmware are you using with your drive?

I have a Plextor Premium and I use Blindwrite ver. 4.5.3.82 and have only had problems once...and that was when I did not have the correct Patin-Couffin drivers and also I was using the wrong ASPI. I can't tell you what combo to use in your rig, so you will just have to try a few out.

Or download the trial version of Blindwrite and contact customer support.

Does any1 know of a good user friendly software so I can make back up copies of my p.c. games? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

**mod edit** - odoe: just cleaning up a little bit.

Gotcha!;)

Well first attempt at using BlindWrite gave me the same error as Alcohol 120. I pop in the back up disc, push in the drawer, the game's initialization screen pops on for like 15 seconds like it's gonna start. Next a new window pops up titled "Can not locate CD Rom" the text message in that window says "Eject and reinstall cd and when ready to start hit ok" which I do and it will cycle through the same thing again. Any ideas?

i, too, have been trying to back up my games. ive tried both alcohol 120% and clonecd to no avail. when i rip the images with clonecd, i never get the option to chose what kind of protection it is. where do i do this?

Well did a second Blindwrite disc. The first coaster was an attempt at copying directly from a game to a blank CD/R....no go.
The second attempt was an image to the HDD then burn from that to a CD/R. That appeared to work, but after that my pc froze and would only boot to safe mode. I finally reset the CMOS and could reboot. Needless to say Blindwrite won't be getting any of my cash.

I pop in the back up disc, push in the drawer, the game's initialization screen pops on for like 15 seconds like it's gonna start. Next a new window pops up titled "Can not locate CD Rom" the text message in that window says "Eject and reinstall cd and when ready to start hit ok" which I do and it will cycle through the same thing again. Any ideas?

This is interesting. I bought BF:V the day it came out and tried to install it. I got the very same error when I went to run it. Exact same dialog box. I dont know if thats the game you're trying to back up or not, but if so I got it to work eventually. I tried installing it from both of my CDROMS multiple times. Finally what worked was to install from my burner and when it was done, I rebooted first thing, even though it didn't say I had to. When it came up it worked.

Dont know if that will help, but your errors were so similar to mine that I thought I'd pass it on.

By the way, I was using the actuall game disks when I got this error so if you are working with the same game, it might not be your backups at all.

-Marshall

just copy your cd to an .iso on HDD and than burn the .iso to cd. Than delete the .iso off HDD. I use Blindwrite/read all the time. I use Alcohol sometimes, but prefer BWR.

That is the best way in IMO.

Originally posted by Ice Czar
(nods as good as a wink, say no more, say no more) :p
is your wife interested in... photography? snap, snap, click, click, say no more

LMAO, know what flick that sketch is on?

OK, to the topic... Many games use different copy protections, this means a one setting fits all doesn't work. You need to research the game's protection, and know the settings to use inside blindwrite or alcohol. I preffer to make an ISO of the origional, burn a copy to test, then mount the ISO and not use the play disk. Check alcohol's forums and there is a list of games and their copy protection.

Back