Good Upgrade? Worth the price?

MISMCSA

2[H]4U
I have an E5300 (Pentium dual core 2.60ghz)

Found an E7500 (core 2 duo 2.93 ghz) @ 89.99 at Micro Center.

Worth the upgrade for the money, or should I hold out for a bigger jump?

I also found a Core 2 Quad Processor Q8300 for 119.99 at Micro Center.

Last edited:
get the Q8300 and overclock it to at least 3GHz
the 7500 would be a waste,

I thought there was more of a diference between a dual core, and a core 2 duo, which would have made it more significant a jump.

I would keep your current system the way it is because all of the currently available Socket LGA775 CPUs are now too pricey for the performance improvement that they deliver. Instead, save up for a newer and entirely different platform (whichever one Intel or AMD comes out with in the near future).

The only upgrade that would make sense out of your options there, would be to grab the q8300. Going from the E5300 to the E7500 won't yield very much noticeable performance increase. At least with the 8300 you would be adding more cores.

q8300 is a complete piece of junk. you better have a dang good board to overclock that pos with its low multiplier. i bought one for my aunt's computer, and the thing is slow with its low cache and it runs hot as all get out even with an aftermarket cooler. idles at 45c at STOCK settings. waste of money IMO. infact, i would go as far as saying the whole qxx00 lineup after the 6600 sucks. the 9300 and 8300 defintely suck. go with a q9550 or something like that.

Back