good timings for TCCD

SKy042

[H]ard|Gawd
I've got some g.Skill TCCD ram in my Opteron which is my overclocked machine.

I'm wondering what woul be expected/good timings for TCCD at 227mhz right now I've got it at 2.5-3-3-5 but I was thinking that TCCD should be able to hold tighter.
thanks

you might be able to do 2-3-2 or 2-3-3.. but who knows. not all tccd can even run 2-2-2 at 200mhz ;)

once again I love my Mushkin L2 VII DDR400 2x512MB-> 2-2-2-5 1T @ 2.8v but then again you didn't give a model number or a speed or speed rated timings. What are they???

i have my 2x512mb corsair 3200xl running at 236mhz 2-3-2-5 at 2.75 volts...running an opty on a a8n32sli

(cf)Eclipse said:
you might be able to do 2-3-2 or 2-3-3.. but who knows. not all tccd can even run 2-2-2 at 200mhz ;)
mine does 2-2-2-5 at 200 1T without breaking a sweat
I was just trying to see what I should kinda expect at this higher frequency.

one of these days i will make a tweaking guide for ram... eventually :p

Well I had to sorta back my way into it but I'm now got the ram running
2-2-2-5 @ 227mhz with 2.71Vdimm (1T)

This might be a dumb question but what exactly s TCCD? I've seen this listed for some chips and have no idea what it means. -Rob

They might be able to run a little tighter but considering you have 4 sticks, it's going to stress the memory controller more then 2 sticks would. Opty's are supposed to have superior memory controllers though but still 4 stick will but a good burden on any die. Also what board are you running, some boards don't like to play as nice with 4 sticks. Yes I'm thinking of you DFI.

-Edit: realized your opty rig only has 1gb on it. So I figured tighter timings are possible. Maybe just need to find the right volts, 2.7-2.8, to get you want you want.

Here are my results with my sticks [G.SKILL TCCD].

Timings | Max FSB

2-2-2-5 | 220MHz
2-3-2-5 | 241MHz
2.5-3-2-7 | 285MHz
2.5-3-3-7 | 297MHz
2.5-4-4-8 | 326MHz

godofgorks said:
They might be able to run a little tighter but considering you have 4 sticks, it's going to stress the memory controller more then 2 sticks would. Opty's are supposed to have superior memory controllers though but still 4 stick will but a good burden on any die.
a few things here... opterons don't reallt have better memory controllers, and you don't have to loosen any of the normal timings with 4 sticks, usually only command rate must be raised ;)

i'm impressed by how well those g.skill's are doing, esp at 2.5-3-2 ;)

(cf)Eclipse said:
a few things here... opterons don't reallt have better memory controllers, and you don't have to loosen any of the normal timings with 4 sticks, usually only command rate must be raised ;)

i'm impressed by how well those g.skill's are doing, esp at 2.5-3-2 ;)
Who's ram are you talking about?

i would take trp 2 over cas 2 anyday, and trcd 2 over trp 2 ;)

want me to do some benches to show you why? :p

on my TCCD, OCZ Plat R2, I can hit 295mhz, [email protected]. But until I go water cooling here in a week or two, my opty 146 tops out at 280htt/fsb, so I'm stuck at ddr560

(cf)Eclipse said:
i would take trp 2 over cas 2 anyday, and trcd 2 over trp 2 ;)

want me to do some benches to show you why? :p

It could vary with chips [TCCD vs. BH5 vs. 5B-d] but I've always thought CAS made the biggest difference. :)

cas used to matter the most with aXP and maybe with intel, but with th a64, it barely effects bandwidth (like 20-40mb/s) and is a relatively small latency hit.. which i think is pretty strange :D

Bona Fide said:
It could vary with chips [TCCD vs. BH5 vs. 5B-d] but I've always thought CAS made the biggest difference. :)
Bona Fide:
Look up Anand's review of OCZ's 3700EB. It's rated for 3-3-2-8 or so, and it absolutely steamrolls most cas2 RAM over DDR466. The two middle numbers are most important for bandwidth on A64, which is one of the reason's I'm so impressed with the Micron-G (Ballistix Z503 two-gig-kits); the ones that hit DDR600 actually outperform TCCD on many occasions, even though higher-density chips are supposed to be more strenuous.

*Z503 gets to 600 at 3-3-3-10, whereas TCCD usually gets there at 2.5-4-3-7.

mavalpha said:
Bona Fide:
Look up Anand's review of OCZ's 3700EB. It's rated for 3-3-2-8 or so, and it absolutely steamrolls most cas2 RAM over DDR466. The two middle numbers are most important for bandwidth on A64, which is one of the reason's I'm so impressed with the Micron-G (Ballistix Z503 two-gig-kits); the ones that hit DDR600 actually outperform TCCD on many occasions, even though higher-density chips are supposed to be more strenuous.

*Z503 gets to 600 at 3-3-3-10, whereas TCCD usually gets there at 2.5-4-3-7.

So the TRP and TRCD are more important? Maybe I should try 3-2-2 instead of 2.5-3-2 then?

Bona Fide said:
So the TRP and TRCD are more important? Maybe I should try 3-2-2 instead of 2.5-3-2 then?
isn't that what i said? :D

it's part of why i like my micron that does 260mhz at 2.5-2-2

(cf)Eclipse said:
isn't that what i said? :D

it's part of why i like my micron that does 260mhz at 2.5-2-2

Well BH-5 can do 260MHz at 2-2-2. It's down to the difference in the chips. TCCD doesn't require any more than 3.0V and can go up to DDR600 at 2.5-4-4. BH-5 can go up to DDR550 at 2-2-2, but it needs more than 3.5V to do so. And those Micron sticks run hot regardless of what voltage they're at, so I tend to stay clear of them anyway. :)

Bona Fide said:
Well BH-5 can do 260MHz at 2-2-2. It's down to the difference in the chips. TCCD doesn't require any more than 3.0V and can go up to DDR600 at 2.5-4-4. BH-5 can go up to DDR550 at 2-2-2, but it needs more than 3.5V to do so. And those Micron sticks run hot regardless of what voltage they're at, so I tend to stay clear of them anyway. :)

alright time to tear this post piece from piece, limb from limb, wrong statement from wrong statement.

BH-5 can do 546 2-2-2, at max stable, the stuff that does higher is CH-UTT, and that is VERY VERY rare to get.

TCCD can do ddr642 2.5-3-3, and ddr650 at 2.5-4-4. max stable, that again is VERY RARE to find.

And micron doesnt all run hot, just get a fan going over them and they will run cool. they are great memory and the fact that you would stay away from them because they get hot, thats like staying im not buying a San Diego cause they are hotter then Venices.

Bona Fide said:
And those Micron sticks run hot regardless of what voltage they're at, so I tend to stay clear of them anyway. :)
i have 2x512mb of 5b G in my rig right now at 260mhz, 2.9v.. load temps hit 31-32c with a 26c ambient and a slow 120mm fan over em..

guess which chips gave micron the "hot" reputation? oh.. yeah, it was the G's ;) :D

i'll be getting some TCCD soon to test how hot they are, but from what i can tell, they aren't exactly cool either, nor is BH-5 at it's upper ranges. simply fact of the matter is that all "enthusiast" level ram will put out a substantial amount of heat. before you mention the 1gb sticks of ballistix, remember that they have 64mb ic's, where everything else mentioned is 32mb, and being 2x the size (thus ~2x the transistors), they definitly don't run 2x hotter :p

CCUABIDExORxDIE said:
alright time to tear this post piece from piece, limb from limb, wrong statement from wrong statement.

BH-5 can do 546 2-2-2, at max stable, the stuff that does higher is CH-UTT, and that is VERY VERY rare to get.

TCCD can do ddr642 2.5-3-3, and ddr650 at 2.5-4-4. max stable, that again is VERY RARE to find.

And micron doesnt all run hot, just get a fan going over them and they will run cool. they are great memory and the fact that you would stay away from them because they get hot, thats like staying im not buying a San Diego cause they are hotter then Venices.

Right. About the "tearing limb from limb" part...

I said 550 as a guesstimate. I've never owned BH-5/CH-5, so that was a rough guess based on what I've seen in tests and such. If you're going to kill me over 2MHz, go ahead.

My TCCD cannot go above 610MHz stable at all, so I was basing that off of my own sticks.

And how are you going to say Micron doesn't run hot because there's a fan over it? Of course it won't. Take the fan off the RAM and then see. My TCCD sticks don't need any active cooling at all. In fact, the only cooling they get at all is through the exhaust fan in the back of my case.

Bona Fide said:
I said 550 as a guesstimate. I've never owned BH-5/CH-5, so that was a rough guess based on what I've seen in tests and such. If you're going to kill me over 2MHz, go ahead.
the problem is that it's worthless these days, as the 512mb sticks of bh-5 are meh in comparison to the 256mb single sided sticks :(

you're also forgetting how bad high vdimm can be for the a64 memory controller in some situations. if i had to choose between 260mhz at 2-2-2 with 3.5v or 2.5-2-2 with 2.8v, i'll take the latter every time.. and micron at 2.8v will be cooler than bh-5 at 3.5

That's really hard to do with Ballistix. I can do 260 @ 2.5-2-3-5 but tRP @ 2 is impressive for Micron at that speed. Can I "trade" other timings to get the tRP to 2 or is that impossible? I'd be interested in an A64 Tweaker shot of your exact settings, Eclipse, if you have one.

can do. takes 2.9v for both sticks to be stable, 2.8v for the individually. know that i only get like 6mhz higher with 2.5-2-3 over 2.5-2-2

1_107.png

that tref is 3072, try the ones in that range
i use drive strength 5 for all voltages (though i might need to tweak it for higher voltage, not sure yet)
optimal data drive is 1 for 2-2-2, 2 for 2.5-2-2 and 2.5-2-3, and 3 for 2.5-3-3 and 3-3-3

also, my old ballistix that i bought last year is still able to do 255mhz at 2.5-2-2, albiet with more voltage

I'll admit, Micron is a good compromise of TCCD and BH-5. You can get the high clocks at relatively tight timings (BH-5), without having to increase voltage past 3.0V (TCCD). But idk, I just feel drawn to my sticks. :D

if it makes you feel any better, both CCU and i have some 437 tccd on the way :cool:

Woohoo! 2 more followers! :cool:

Haha shit TCCD...don't think it exists. My "shit" DDR400 sticks did pretty well.

ohh want some shit tccd. ima calling everyones bestest friend...mista Tsuehpsyde.

and no Gskills TCCD is shit TCCD. its all good stuff.

Yeah, mine have a mind of their own. Luckily they hold 2-2-2 DDR400+ with 2.7v, but that's about all they do. They don't really hold 2.5-3-3 DDR500, let alone DDR600 at ANY timings (they pass memtest but don't go into Windows). So yea, shit TCCD does exist. Although, CCU's sticks were worse than mine. There are alot of good PDP sticks, just not mine. :(

Full Folding Ahead!

ohh yea. i forgot about my bad stick. i guess it was sooo grotesque that only tsue remembers it, and he only remembers it so he can say my tccd isnt as bad as CCU's was. :D

Back