Good time to buy a 1900XTX?

MrChunks

n00b
With the x1950xtx release driving down the prices of the last generation cards, I'm seeing a lot of good deals on the x1900xtx.

I just want to check my logic before I pick up a x1900xtx at these new lower prices.

The major (by major, I mean "real world") differences between the two cards are: a handful of FPS, and the greatly improved (sound level wise) cooler.

I know the memory is technically faster in the new ones, but I don't know if it's $150 worth of "faster".

My thinking is that if the noise truly bothers me on the x1900xtx, I can just pick up an aftermarket cooler (accelero v2), which would both lower noise and possibly let me OC the card up to near x1950xtx approaching levels anyway.

Am I wrong on any of this? Are other people planning similar? (if it matters, I'm driving a 24" dell lcd with it, so native rez is pretty high)

good as ever, as it looks liek 1st gen dx 10 cards will sucks (with recent releases from the inquirer) and dx 9 will be around for atleast 1 more year till a big shift to dx 10 comes, its a great time to buy a x1900xtx

p.s. 1950xtx not worth it, stick with 1900xtx, its not a new "gen" just a lil improvement... i.e. 7800gtx 512 to 7900gtx512, only like 10-15fps, which the 1900xtx is still smoking..

great time to get a 1900XTX dont be worried at all . Newegg has had them recently as low as $373.00 dollars so might wanna check there ..or buy a used one.

Still the X1950 seems much more reliable. I've seen many people with issues regarding power draw and electrical noise coming out of their cards during heavy 3d applications. Mine emits a 'dial-up' sound noise when I play Company of Heroes. Your card may vary. I think ATI's reworking of the card has helped in power efficiency... thus the lower power draw and no noise issue.

Still.. very little have had any failing cards because of these issues (I only know one person that has.. .hopefully it won't be me). And I don't know if the extra 150 is enough to warrant the removal of these issues.

I bought my x1900xtx last week and got it today!

I wont be able to stretch her legs for another week until i get another raptor and have time to set everything up, but I think this is a great time to buy...

the x1950xtx is £20 more than the x1900xtx series. so i took the jump for the extra few ££ and got the better card ;)

3 days of waiting now- not only for the x1950xtx-but dell 24",150gb raptor and also waterblock for the gfx card to attach it to my existing watercooling kit :D

yeah - it's SUCH a buyers market for all 1900 series cards now with the 1950s out in volume. Fry's had them all out for sale yesterday.. I got my pair (xtx + xt mastercard) for just over 600... crazy!

. . . AND- when the 1950pro hits the streets, it'll be tough to sell a 1900xtx unless it's like $200 or even less..

revenant said:
yeah - it's SUCH a buyers market for all 1900 series cards now with the 1950s out in volume. Fry's had them all out for sale yesterday.. I got my pair (xtx + xt mastercard) for just over 600... crazy!

. . . AND- when the 1950pro hits the streets, it'll be tough to sell a 1900xtx unless it's like $200 or even less..

The x1950pro is replacing the x1900gt... I doubt it will have much of an effect on the xtx prices...

Seufari said:
The x1950pro is replacing the x1900gt... I doubt it will have much of an effect on the xtx prices...

QFT. Quite why the XTX would need to be $40 less than a card it seriously overpowers is beyond me.

I think the X1950XTX easily warrants its price, I also think for sub $300 the X1900XTX is an even better buy, you cannot go wrong with that card.

Seufari said:

I meant to say 1950GT... not pro.. the GT will be a great bang for the buck! and I didn't say it would effect the prices, I just said it's going to be tough to sell one unless it's sub 200.. while that might be a little bit of an exageration, the hardware shops are still pretty dumb (imo) when new more powerful cards come out to be selling the last gen cards for almost the same price.. there was a lot of that when Nvidia released the 7800GT.. the 6800Ultras were the SAME price.. doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out they're going to get stuck with a ton of those old cards.. anyways..

I'd get an x1900 xt or xtx, yeah, rather than the x1950. The 256 MB version is as cheap as $250, and the 512 MB xt can be had for $280 after rebate.

Getting an XT and a cooler is a better deal than an XTX imo.

quicksilverXP said:
I've seen many people with issues regarding power draw and electrical noise coming out of their cards during heavy 3d applications. Mine emits a 'dial-up' sound noise when I play Company of Heroes.
This seems to be a little known issue, but yes, both I and a friend have experienced this in some scenarios, so it certainly exists, and I think it's more widespread than some would think.

So long as the card functions correctly, I don't see any cause for alarm, however. The noise I sometimes get can be easily dismissed, so no real sweat. I don't think these sporadic issues is any reason to not buy an X1900 - just make sure you're getting a reasonable warranty.

phide said:
This seems to be a little known issue, but yes, both I and a friend have experienced this in some scenarios, so it certainly exists, and I think it's more widespread than some would think.

So long as the card functions correctly, I don't see any cause for alarm, however. The noise I sometimes get can be easily dismissed, so no real sweat. I don't think these sporadic issues is any reason to not buy an X1900 - just make sure you're getting a reasonable warranty.
I have an xtx that makes that hissing noise but I thought most modern cards made that noise. the 7800gtx in my laptop makes the same noise

Back