Good Temps?

mr_ouija

Limp Gawd
What exactly are 'good' temps to be getting from a Custom watercooled setup?
Presently, my a64 3500 Winchester is hitting ~40C full load. I'm not sure if this is on par with what I should be getting though. Sig has system specs in it along with W/C system specs.

without knowing your ambient temp (room temp) and motherboard brand we can't help you, and even if you were to give these temps, chance that your motherboard showing the wrong temp by as high as 10C above or below the actual temp or below.

It's been around 30*C ambient as reported by the motherboard, an MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum

Hell, I'll take those temps. For some reason my watercooling system is running really hot. I think it has something to do with the pump not having a very fast flow rate. Before I setup my system I lapped my waterblock really good. Used ArcticSilver and some coolant additives. This watercooling setup is from DangerDen and it's on an Epox 9NDA3+ mobo s939, AMD64 3800+. I've downloaded and installed numerous monitoring apps and they are all telling me the same temps, they all matchup with what the bios reads. Sorry for hijacking this thread, but this is a major problem for me and I don't wanna kill my box. Any ideas on how to lower that temp would be greatly appreciated. My Coolermaster Aquagate keeps my other box way cooler than this custom setup. That box right now is running idle @ 32c an full load it wont hit over 40c.

Here is the pump in question.
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/product.php?productid=135&cat=4&page=1

Dose anyone think that a new pump and getting a dual 120mm radiator would help with temp problems?

My 3500+ Newcastle runs 44C load stock on my Soltek k8t800pro. Dont worry yourself until you start overclocking and start hitting mid 50's.

Those look like decent temps to me. Though my system is not an AMD system my temps are around 42C under load.

Is your WCing system brand new? If it's not, one way to reduce temps is to take some compressed air to your rad and get the dust out of it. I noticed that all the dust that builds up in my rad can increase my temps up to 5C. Of course this is not a problem if your system is new/clean.

Watercooling system was just installed yesterday for the first time... all parts were new (or in the case of the pump, only 2 hours of use) so built up dust shouldn't be a problem. On a side note, the fans on the top are pulling air through the rad, perhaps pushing would work better?

After changing my fan controller wiring so that I could control the voltage of the pump and control the fans that sandwhich the 120mm rad I've gotten my fans running at 100% as well as the pump and my temps dropped from 54c idle to 42c idle. I like that alot, but would like to see it go down in the low 30's. So I think I'll opt for a dual 120mm rad first to see if that makes any difference. If the new rad can take the temps down in the 30's then I'll be happy with that. If not, then I'll opt for a new pump. And if I still can't achive the temps I want then I'll replace the block. I swear I'll get this box as cool as I want it, one way or another. :D

more importantly you need to moniter the temperature of the water.
My home built external setup uses two AC 120mm fans run off a dimmer switch, 350gph pond pump, a heater core and a Zahlman waterblock and my cpu temps are typically around 42C but my water temperature never gets more than 4C above ambient.
That is the real test, is the rad/fans keeping the water temp down? if so, ignore your cpu temps as long as its stable.

I have a a 3800+ (at stock speeds)on a Neo2 using a dual black ice extreme and polarflo TT cpu block and the older polarflo VGA block on my x800XT. my idle temps are 44-46c and load will be between 50-55c my GPU never reports over 31c and it is running 520 core/ 560 mem. Also I used to have this exact same chip in an abit AV8 and the load temps never read over 42-44c. My thoughts are this is a mis-reading by the MSI Neo2, which would just be one more thing in a laundry list of problems with this board.

3500 Winchester running @ 2701 is right at 89 degrees or 32 degrees C idle and usually some were around 98 degrees full load.

Watercooling setup specs are:
BlackIce II Extreme w/ 4 120mm Delta fans @ 104cfm apeice,
1/2ID tubing,
Danger Den Maze 4 CPU,
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU,
Ehime 1040 i think
and a Innovatec Tank 'o Matic

I just installed my water cooling rig (I bought the thermaltake bigwater for my first water cooling experience) and at full load with a barton 2500 overclocked to 2400mhz I am hitting around 42 degrees C at 1.65 volts. It would get much higher at higher voltages (over 50 degrees). Here is the rub. At idle, the motherboard monitor is saying -27 degrees. I figure I have gone below the threshold of the board (shuttle an35 ultra). What should I do to get accurate temps?

Don't mean to thread crap...

I thought water cooling was better than air cooling.

Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton CPU
Asus A7N8X Motherboard

Strangely enough, compared to all of your abnormally high temperatures, I get 25 C on idle, 28 C on full load. When I overclock it to 3200+ speeds, I get 28 C idle with 31 C on full load. Am I missing something here?

-J.

To my knowledge the AXP's don't generate as much heat as a A64. Like comparing a Northwood P4 to Prescott. Two different cores, two different temps.

kirbster said:
more importantly you need to moniter the temperature of the water.
My home built external setup uses two AC 120mm fans run off a dimmer switch, 350gph pond pump, a heater core and a Zahlman waterblock and my cpu temps are typically around 42C but my water temperature never gets more than 4C above ambient.
That is the real test, is the rad/fans keeping the water temp down? if so, ignore your cpu temps as long as its stable.

The only way to accurately moniter your temperatures is to use a hand-installed probe on the CPU itself. Even then you are unlikely to obtain very accurate temps for the core of the processor.

Water temps are not such a good indication as you may have a poor contact with your processor which causes little heat to be transfered to your water and therefore misleadingly cool water temps.

One easy and effective way of judging your cooling system is to consider the size and stability of your overclock and compare with other peoplee with similar systems.

Well, just got some news from DangerDen about the pump that I bought from them. IT'S DEFECTIVE! When you move the pump for positioning it will stop working, once it's stable for a few seconds it'll start running again. They offered to replace the pump with one of my choice at no charge. So it looks like my first guess as to why my temps are high was correct.

P4 3.0C @ 3.3 (right now), X800XT stock (burning in). Derale oil (car) rad + 2x120mm Panaflo H1L @ 7V + Swiftech MCP600/12V pump + custom res. + MAZE4 CPU/GPU + 3/8" tygon tubing.

GPU temp 29C idle, 37C load
CPU temp 32C idle, 39C load
ambient ~25C

GeForceX said:
Don't mean to thread crap...

I thought water cooling was better than air cooling.

Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton CPU
Asus A7N8X Motherboard

Strangely enough, compared to all of your abnormally high temperatures, I get 25 C on idle, 28 C on full load. When I overclock it to 3200+ speeds, I get 28 C idle with 31 C on full load. Am I missing something here?

-J.

Your temps are wrong. Even the best cooling solution will show more than a 3 degree difference between idle and load....

I've seen all these posts about temps with custom (expensive) water cooling setups and haven’t been impressed. I have the Thermaltake BigWater kit and with an ambient room temperature of 70 degrees fahrenheit my Athlon 64 3500 over clocked by 200MHZ is running at 32 degrees Celsius at idle and 43 degrees at full load. I've seen water cooling setups that cost twice as much not perform much better. Oh, and that temp is with the radiator fan running at only 1400 rpm. Maybe the Asus a8n-sli isn't that accurate on reading CPU temps.

Ha! I got you all beat!

XP 2000+ running @ 2.0ghz, 1.7V (from 1.6ghz) runs at 63C idle and gets to about 70C under prime 95 before crashing w/ a rounding error.

And I'm on Air! So booya.

MChief said:
Ha! I got you all beat!

XP 2000+ running @ 2.0ghz, 1.7V (from 1.6ghz) runs at 63C idle and gets to about 70C under prime 95 before crashing w/ a rounding error.

And I'm on Air! So booya.

You do know lower is better right?

I used to think water cooling was the only way to get good temps, but I am pretty amazed with the performance of my XP90. My idle temps are 30-32 and load temps are never above 44, and thanks to DFI's smart guardian, my CPU fan spins at a quiet 1400 RPM as I type this. With temps like this, I really don't see any point to water cooling (BTW, those temps are with vcore at 1.65 and my 3200 @ 2.6 GHz).

I have an AXP-M 2400 @ 2.7 1.9V
on DFI infinity w/ copper cooler on northbridge

I built a custom watercooler with a CSP-750 pump, some D-tek spiral block, single 120 rad using 3/8 ID.

Air is pulled through the rad from the top of the case.

Core temps peak at 110F - 112F at full load (HL2 @ high detail)

Back