Good Subwoofer

beck192

n00b
Hey, my Cambridge Megaworks 510d system (well... the subwoofer / amp part) crapped out on me the other day, and instead of buying a new 5.1 system I'm thinking of pairing my existing satellites with a new receiver and subwoofer. The problem... I have absolutely no idea on what to look for in a sub.

The sub from my old megaworks was an 8" 100watt, and it sounded pretty well, and seems to have been reviewed well. Does anyone know a sub that would be of comparable sound quality at a reasonable, i.e. <$200, price?

Check out SVS if you aren't into the DIY scene, and just buy the most expensive sub you can afford.

As for a receiver on a budget, denon and pioneer are good on the low-end.

I always read great reviews of the BIC H-100 sub here. I also use my 510d which is still great.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies;) Just a couple more questions:

What am I looking for in a sub? I see that some are down firing, and others are front firing. What does this mean? What does long throw mean? Is there a risk of getting a sub that's too large or too small so that it won't match my satellites?

SCSI: If you bought your 510d's just about 4 years ago, be careful about turning them on and off. A whole bunch of people that bought them right around the time are having problems with green light / no sound problem. That is, when turned on the green light comes on in the back, but there is no "pop", and no sound. Something inside goes, and nobody seems to be able to fix it...

Mine slow started a couple of times, then just never started up again.:(

Down firing means the actual diaphragm thingy that's moving the air is facing downward. Front firing... guess.

Long throw means that that same diaphragm thingy is going to move farther than most other subs (a few centimeters maybe). Subs almost always have onboard controls for crossover and power, so you should be able to match whatever you currently have. I really like my HSU and it cost something like 300 bucks. It's seriously a great sub, I hope it's not completely out of your budget, because it's probably all you'll ever need as far as subs go.

I got a BIC H-100 and yes, it is an extremely good woofer for the money. And BIC customer support is FREAKING GREAT. Yes, it is that good. Early models had an amp board that had problems, mine was included in this group and they had a new amp board mailed to me in just a couple days after I called. Awesome support, awesome product. I got it for $200 shipped off of ebay brand new.

Hey all, thanks for the help. Based on recommendations here, and another site (techreport), I think I'm going to go for the HSUResearch STF-1. It's an 8" downfiring sub which will be better than what I had before, and should blend in with the speakers I already have.

Unless there is a good reason why I should go with a 10", I think I'm going to bite:)

Back