Good SSD for bootcamp?

Joined
Feb 25, 2009
Messages
5
I have a 2011 Macbook Pro which I almost exclusively use for Windows (I play games and work with Visual Studio, so I can't "just get used to OSX"), and I am tempted to pull the trigger on an SSD. Problem is, Apple computers present the SATA controller to the OS as IDE and not AHCI when booted in BIOS emulation mode, which means TRIM commands are not sent.
As I won't want to spend hundreds just to see the SSD trashed in a few months and am not entirely comfortable with hacking the bootloader (and losing standby and BootCamp control panel functionality), I'd like to ask if there are any SSDs that can handle operation without TRIM.
 
While I don't know the answer to your question, just because you don't have TRIM does not mean the SSD will be "trashed" in a few months. Most SSDs have some sort of garbage collection that will keep the performance at a maximum whether TRIM is present or not. While TRIM is nice to have, it is not necessary to keep the system running quickly.
 
I feel your pain dude. I really do. I've had to tweak my Windows installation to workaround the lack of GPU switching and I'm close to buying a 256GB SSD. Modifying the MBR doesn't bother me, but loosing sleep sure does.
 
Back
Top