Good source for HDTV info? (not monitor)

icetrey47

Limp Gawd
I'm looking to purchase an HDTV to upgrade my currrent 27" SDTV, mostly for use with my Wii and 360. Do any of you have any recommendations, or better yet, can you direct me to an active forum with people discussing HDTVs and their consoles? I'm mostly interested in sub-$1000 screens (still open to more expensive recommendations), not interested in plasma, and preferably has 1080p (or at least 720p). A couple of good screens for comparison that I'm interested in are the 32" and 37" westy's, but I'm interested in the TVs (with tuners), not the straight up monitors. I would, however, like to look at some other brands that compare to these 2 TVs.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

You will not find anything that has 1080p ability under $1000. You will have a very hard time finding a GOOD HDTV under $1000.

Your quest started in the right direction with the Westy. Buy either the 37" 37lw3 or the 42".

Also look at the Sceptre Naga 37" that does 1080p.

avs forums absolutely, they have a billion page thread for every tv imaginable, including the 42/37 westies which is a must-read if your planning to get one so you know the kind of potential mess your getting yourself into with their crappy remotes, tv-wont-turn-on issue, firmware woes, etc, etc...

i'm still kinda new to this scene, so this may sound like a stupid question. The Westy 37" with 1080p says it does not have a built-in tuner ... so how do you watch TV on it? I'm assuming you would have to have a digital cable box from your local cable provider (or satellite) ... just tell me it's still possible to watch channels like SpikeTV on it and still have it look great. Does this make the coax cable obsolete?

icetrey47 said:
i'm still kinda new to this scene, so this may sound like a stupid question. The Westy 37" with 1080p says it does not have a built-in tuner ... so how do you watch TV on it? I'm assuming you would have to have a digital cable box from your local cable provider (or satellite) ... just tell me it's still possible to watch channels like SpikeTV on it and still have it look great. Does this make the coax cable obsolete?

Yep, you need an external tuner of some time, be it a Digital Cable box or one of the competing Satellite companys (I use Sat and I'm very happy with it).

As to SpikeTV looking great, it depends on if it's a SD channel or an HD channel. Many channels, while digital are not yet HD, or the provider chooses not to send the HD version in the regular package. SD digital when upscaled to a large screen TV will look fuzzy and not as clear as a DVD, let alone compared to an HD broadcast.

SO to state it clearly, HDTV without HD content looks as crappy as the older SD bigscreens looked like. Make sure your content is available for what you want or you'll be less than satisfied.

Back