Good SLI Motherboard

CaptRR

n00b
This is kind of a follow up to a thread in the General Hardware forum, but since its motherboard related I wanted to ask it real fast in the motherborad forums.

I am getting a Q6600 and 8800GT in the system I am upgrading. I am looking for a board that can can overclock should I want to do it in the future, and also be able to SLI, again should I want to do it in the future.

I don't have a need for RAID or Firewire, but am looking for a good reliable board. I have heard good things about the P35 Chipsets.

Edit: Almost forgot, I want to try to keep the cost down on this, but am not afraid to spend money on a quality board should I have to have it to meet the requirements above.

SLI?

evga 680i or p5n32-e sli

nothing else is worth it and nothing else will work.

Wow, SLI really does tack on a bit of cost doesn't it? I am beginning to wonder if its really worth it to get a board that can support SLI when I will not be using it for at least a year.

if you can get your hands on an evga I would go for that, after about 2 weeks of messing around with the 2 different asus models this one seems to do what I need it to do.

Do not use a 680i with a Q6600 G0... unless you want headaches when it comes to overclocking the CPU...

There is no good SLI motherboard from nVidia. Stick with Intel chipset and one video card. You'll be very glad you did.

what about ASUS Striker Extreme?!
Is it reasonable to say that all the SLI based mobo’s are crap!!
Anyway hope that the 700 series will be better

sorry I am a noob but do I need an SLI motherboard to use GFX gards in SLI ?

stupid question but the more questions answered the more i learn :)

that question is beyond stupid haha j/k j/k.... but yeah the only reason you need an "SLI" board is to use SLI.... otherwise other board not advertise as SLI cannot accept SLI videocards.

sorry I am a noob but do I need an SLI motherboard to use GFX gards in SLI ?

stupid question but the more questions answered the more i learn :)

well, technically any mobo with a pair of pci-e slots could run sli. it runs on the standard pci-e spec. but nvidia doesnt allow it. there are ways though, as there always are.

well, technically any mobo with a pair of pci-e slots could run sli. it runs on the standard pci-e spec. but nvidia doesnt allow it. there are ways though, as there always are.

This I'd like to see.
How about you turning us on to the information.

what about ASUS Striker Extreme?!
Is it reasonable to say that all the SLI based mobo’s are crap!!
Anyway hope that the 700 series will be better

Striker Extreme is more finicky then most SLI boards, still prone to frying itself, memory issues out the yang (google CPU INIT), and pricey. I've run through several.

It is reasonable to say that all 680i SLI mobos have a laundry list of problems and in the worst possible situation will fail and take your RAM with them.

I hope, but I doubt the 700 will be better.

I have no memory problems but does run really hot. Plus it will do 1066 on the RAM also have corsair ram cooler. Running QX 6700 at 2.93 GHZ but not going to push further because of Heat. Also I keep RAM within voltage specs. What I gather you cannot go past memory specs for voltage without taking a risk of frying your ram.

I hope 780i runs a little cooler.

There is no good SLI motherboard from nVidia. Stick with Intel chipset and one video card. You'll be very glad you did.

Being as an nVidia chipset is *required* for SLI, why are you anti-SLI?

As far as support for Yorkfield, this is an ongoing issue between Intel and nVidia that actually dates prior to the nForce 4 (and why there was not an nForce 5 series for Intel CPUs). Intel wants SLI licensing for their own chipsets before nVidia can get access to the Yorkfield microcode, and nVidia won't budge. (Is this the source of your anti-SLI position?)

The immediate difficulty with the positions of Intel and nVidia is that Intel produces CPUs and motherboards/chipsets, but not discrete GPU products. nVidia produces motherboard chipsets and discrete GPU products, but not CPUs. AMD (with Spider) is now in all three lines of business (and is likely s♥♥♥♥♥♥ing as Intel and nV feud). The only real winner in the Intel vs. nV dispute is AMD.

The SLACR (G0-stepping) Q6600/Q6700 work just fine (even overclocked) on the 680i T1/A1; however, they require a BIOS update (and an aftermarket HSF). However, the few games that actually benefit from overclocking a G0 are more GPU-limited than CPU-limited with the exception of WoW (and *maybe* Oblivion) unless you are saying that Crysis requires taller resolutions than 1680x1050 to look decent with AA/AF.

Back