• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good setup for music

mt_100

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 15, 2006
Messages
342
Currently I have a nice enough 2.1 setup for gaming, I don't need something huge for that. Hoever I want to have something big for the sake of music since my collection is on the computer.

I'd like to use the PC to play the music to some larger speakers in the living room and have good volume. I can run wires under the floor so that isn't a worry, only about 20'.

Any suggestions to get some good volume (large speakers) in the living room with less investment? I don't want to go with a full stereo tuner if I don't have to and running from the audio out of my sound card would be nice as well.
 
Budget and how big physically?

Are we talking audiophile entry or audiophile hi end here?
 
Budget would be around $200 for speakers and everything and it wouldn't be high end. I just want something that get get decent sound and more volume (loud) in the living room.
 
At that price point... you have a few that you can look at.

1. Polk R50 (just about 130$ or so for the pair at Outpost or somewhere else online)
2. Athena F1 or F2 (might be a little over $200 for speakers alone)
3. Polk M20 (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Polk...32512/catOid/-12950/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do) (awesome price at $89 sale for the pair....)

Those are some of the floorstanders I know that might work for you.

I would go with either 1 or 3, hook them up to a receiver ($150 or less) and wallah!
 
Polk M20 priced is for EACH not pair.....................


BTW, the R30 at outpost is under 80 a pair, same speakers, different colors..... much better deal.
 
aZn_plyR said:
Polk M20 priced is for EACH not pair.....................


BTW, the R30 at outpost is under 80 a pair, same speakers, different colors..... much better deal.

My bad, it didnt explicity say on the page as it does for the other speakers. R30 would be a good choice too.
 
if you don't mind ebay.. you could pick up a pair of Alesis Monitor Ones for $120 and then a 2 channel Alesis RA-100 amp for about $75. You won't need a sub with these either. It would basically crush any computer speaker's you could get for twice the price. I have a set that I have been using since 96'.

link
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As strange as it sounds, check your local classifides in the paper (if you don't mind used). Sometimes you can get some used speakers that for the price, are nice.

My dad has a little setup of Cerwin Vega! floorstanding speakers. They eaisly fill up the room, and have plenty of bass (which a lot of these new floorstanding speakers just lack due to no *real* woofer). Not as accurate as my B&W601's, but they fill up the room whereas the B&W's just can't. If my dad were to sell them now, he might get 125$ for the pair, which is reasonable for the level fo sound you get out of them. Many other speakers in this catagory go for about this much. The trick is to pick them up locally, because god only knows shipping for these monster speakers costs like 50-100$.

So yea, if you don't mind used check for any local sales(even tag sales) and just add on a little receiver (or integrated amp). You'll get the effect you want, if all you want is to fill the room up with sound.
 
SDAT? What's that?

Go on your local CraigsList and see if you got some decent speakers out there for good money.
 
they probably suck compared to other speakers in thier pricerange.. in the same website.... when they go on sale...... COUGH Polk R30 COUGH :D
 
Yeah, looks like I will wait for the Polk R30 to go on sale again. With those and the receiver from Circuit City I should be set.
 
towert7 said:
As strange as it sounds, check your local classifides in the paper (if you don't mind used). Sometimes you can get some used speakers that for the price, are nice.

[...]

So yea, if you don't mind used check for any local sales(even tag sales) and just add on a little receiver (or integrated amp). You'll get the effect you want, if all you want is to fill the room up with sound.

For serious. This is the way to go. You'd be amazed what people put up on craigslist etc without knowing the value (my grandpa had these, they look old), etc etc. It's DAMN affordable to get a pair of old bookshelfs or floorstanders from a great company, and a decent receiver or amp (alesis?) for not much more.
 
The athena speakers in my sig for 119. Then go buy a stereo amp from best buy for 100 bucks.
 
Where can you get them for $119? Those are bookshelf speakers and aren't as large as what I would like to get. How do they handle volume? I want to give the neighbors an appreciation for Ozzy at 3:00am on a budget.
 
Another good choice is Fluance. I know many of you haven't heard of them, but for the budget consumer they are very good. As good or better than any of Polks early R-series (R30-R50).

They are internet only, and you can find some reviews on Hometheaterforums, and AVSForum.

I have only heard 2 sets, and both were rather good.

The Bookshelf Fluance SV-6 ($120 a pair)
The FloorStander SV-10 ($300 a pair)

Now I know they carry cheaper speakers, but I have not heard any of those. These were very good for the price range, and as good as anything from Best Buy.

The SV-6 with an Alesis RA150 off of ebay for just about 100 bucks would be a very good combination.
 
There was a special at http://www.audioadvisor.com/ for 119 I think. I bought mine for 145 out the door. They handle volume pretty good for me, but i'm in a smaller room. It may not be what you're looking for but I think they're worth looking into.
 
I just picked up two Polk R50 speakers on sale at Outpost.com!

They didn't have the R30 on sale for $39.99 each anymore but had the R50 for $69.99 each and I jumped on it. It sounded like a great deal to me, hopefully I don't get prooven wrong.

I had gone to Circuit City over the weekend and heard the Polk M20 there and they sounded great but they wanted $129.00 each for them.

Now to get a decent receiver/amp. I want something that I can hook the TV up to since this will all be in the living room and the computer from the other room will be hooked up as well. Have to run about 20' of wire under the floor for the computer but that isn't a big deal.

So off to eBay for a reveiver or amp or something. Shall see what I can find.
 
One last hurdle here.

I have a nice enough TV but it doesn't have audio outputs. My DVD player hooks up with the typical three RCA plugs.

So...I could hook the audio output from the DVD player to the stereo receiver inputs and then run the video one straight to the TV and only have the stereo for sound when I watch movies.

I don't thing that would be too bad, but having when I watch TV would be cool to. I only have standard cable TV though so it comes in through coax straight to the TV.

Any last ideas or just pick up a receiver and go with the DVD stereo option?
 
Back
Top