good scsi controller on the cheap

umbra

[H]ard|Gawd
hey guys I'm new to scsi and I just got my hands on a couple cheetahs was wondering where I could pick up a controller card cheap so I could raid em up :D also why don't people normally use scsi and why are they so dang exspensive?
Oh and anybody know if they make scsi to ide or sate adapters?

I was planning to I meant which ones are good to look for used

comeon I know somebody knows one and are there scsi to ata or sata adapters cus that could cut the cost

What do you mean by "raid them up" ?

People dont normally use SCSI because they are expensive. They're expensive due to their reliability/technology/speed, and dont even bother with any sort of SCSI to IDE converter crap.

umbra said:
comeon I know somebody knows one and are there scsi to ata or sata adapters cus that could cut the cost

There are adaptors that go the other way and allow ide devices on the scsi bus.

As for a an adaptor get an LSI Logic or Adaptec. Just about all of there recent ones are quite and have excellent driver updates. Stay away from dell branded adaptors even though they are basically identical to there adaptec or LSI model. They have a special bios that makes them only work with dell drivers. This makes you dependent on dell to get new drivers. I have now have this problem. I bought a dell adaptec 29320A-R for a good price but dell doesn't have 64bit drivers for so I am stuck and can't use it in XP x64 like I want to.

If you really want to raid them up most new adaptors support host raid which is basically identical to the way ide raid works now.

LSIU160 or Adaptec 19160 or 29160
If you're trying to go on the cheap, you won't find many hardware RAID controllers that are worth getting

As for Dell adapter, most if not all can be flashed to a non-dell firmware.

Vertigo Acid said:
As for Dell adapter, most if not all can be flashed to a non-dell firmware.

I guess I will try this for mine. I figure the worst that will happen is that the adaptor will not take the bios image.

Back