Good router upgrade over WRT54GS to stream 720P?

ryanjg11

Gawd
I've currently been using two WRT54GS routers, running Tomato in a WDS (wireless distribution system) setup for a couple of years. They've ran without issues, but I'm looking for some higher bandwidth so that I can stream 720P MPEG4 movies from my PC to my PS3 (in the media center area). The PS3 is using Windows Media Streaming (DLNA) to pull the media files from my PC.

I frequently experience video lags/stoppage when watching movies on the PS3, and I suspect it's a network throughput issue even though the PS3 doesn't really tell you if it's buffering.

I am wondering if I switch to a newer MIMO router or whatever is the current cutting-edge, will I be able to stream these movies without issue? The PS3 would be hardwired to the new router, while my desktop PC would have to get a compatible wireless card.

On a related note, might there be a better solution for streaming to my PS3, rather than using DLNA? Since I don't play much games on it, I'm pretty close to just giving up on it all and building a HTPC based on Zagate, then just setting up a file sync routine between the media files on my main desktop and HTPC. Would serve as backup too in the event of hard drive failure, I guess.

Sounds like you are streaming within your home network. If that's the case, you can just look for a good gigabit switch (newegg should have one for cheap). :)

Back