good raid 0 card

h_2_o

Gawd
OK i'm looking to get a raid 0 setup for a test windows 2003 server box. I was looking at sub $100 and was curious if anything out there was even close to that mark that is worth looking at. anyway i'm open to any suggestions.

thanks for the help.

You don't really need a card for R0.

Unless your using sas drives or don't have onboard raid then the onboard raid will be fine.

no onboard, and i'd like a little monitoring, unlike most systems out there that have onboard raid i have found few that actually give any real monitoring utilities that tell you anything at all.

no onboard, and i'd like a little monitoring, unlike most systems out there that have onboard raid i have found few that actually give any real monitoring utilities that tell you anything at all.

Well, then anything that has these tools and fits your budget is good. Raid 0 requires basically zero processing power so even software raid cards (i.e. that offload to your CPU) will be more than adequate.

Well, if you insist on spending extra money that you really don't have to, then give a look towards lower-end Adaptec, Areca, or 3ware PCI express cards that offer simple RAID functionality.

You don't need it, but if you really want to...

If you are running RAID 0, monitoring is not very effective. Once there is a problem, the array is dead anyway. Just make sure whatever controller you use will report SMART errors. That could give you a little warning of impending DOOM.

Don

Back