good quality universal wifi booster

DirtyApe

Gawd
I'm trying to find a simple way of boosting my friend's wireless inside his house. The wifi works great when in the same room or in the adjacent rooms but when on the other side of the house the connection randomly drops. I'm looking for a good quality wireless booster/repeater that will work with any network brand. I'm not to sure about which brands to stay away from and which ones are the higher quality ones.
Thanks for any help :)

Your best route is to run a cable to the other side of the house and add another AP.

Otherwise you might try a WRT54GL flashed with Tomato/dd-wrt and set in repeater mode, but this will be slower and less reliable.

im sorry if im sounding dumb but how exactly does that work and whats the best way to set that up? ive never messed with access points other than a router connected to a modem.

Ok so I went out and bought a Netgear WG602v4 access point. I'm trying to connect it to a router that is connected to a cable modem. I'm trying to set this up so that I can wirelessly connect to the access point in order to get internet via the access point. I have no idea on how to set this up and I've tried utilizing google to see if other people have had the same issue.

PS: I'm trying to set the access point to where its physically connected to the modem and I am wirelessly connected to the access point but I can't get this to work. I can't even get the repeater function to work at all.

EDIT: Nevermind I figured out what I had to do to get this to work.

Back