Good program to RIP DVDs?.....

BigGreg85

Gawd
Ok so I just bought myself a DELL AXIM X50 with a 4GB memory card.

I would like to RIP a DVD to my computer and the compress it to a .wmv file so I can then watch it on my PDA.

What is a good program that will allow me to RIP a DVD to my computer.

No worries I am not doing anything illegal only for personal use with purchased DVDs.

Thank You

Greg

Don't know of anything that'll convert to WMV (will your PDA do other file formats?).

That being said, a great ripper is DVDDecrypter and, as far as I can tell, the "industry" standard. You can find encoders on your own.

Check doom9 for pretty much everything you need to start out with. Also, the stick at the top of this page might give you some helpful info.

i use dvdshrink to rip it to my hard drive, and then use imtoo to convert it to divx/whatever format i want

arkamw said:
Don't know of anything that'll convert to WMV (will your PDA do other file formats?).

That being said, a great ripper is DVDDecrypter and, as far as I can tell, the "industry" standard. You can find encoders on your own.

Check doom9 for pretty much everything you need to start out with. Also, the stick at the top of this page might give you some helpful info.

Oh I have a program to convert it to .wmv...I will try out that program.

Thanks for the help so quickly.

DVDDecrypter will rip the file striaght off the DVD and onto the HDD in a watchable form. The formats remain just as they are on the DVD (i.e. PFO and VOB). From there, you are going to have to use a different program to change into whatver format you are looking for. DVD Shrink does the same thing except it compresses those files while not changing the file format.

I haven't messed around with changing file formats yet (i.e. compress to DivX or whatever) but I know that there are a few tools on the doom9 site that can help out. Imtoo was suggested above... looks like it'll do DivX AVI's. You're probably gonna have to look at a few programs and try them out to see if they'll do what you want.

i like SmartRipper 2.41 becuz it rips only the dvd content you want, with no bonus stuff and things some would not need.

OK I used DVDshrink to RIP the DVD to VOB files....now how should I convert that into a AVI file?

DVD2AVI will take those VOBs and turn them into AVI output, but it also will need to separate out the sound so that it can be compressed. The video quality and file size will be controlled by what codec settings you use when you start to save to AVI. The higher the resolution and/or bitrate, the better the quality but larger the file will be. You will probably need to resize down small to match your PDA display, for best efficiency.

After using DVD2AVI, try VirtualDub (google it; it's freeware) to compress the audio and re-merge it with the video.

Still no all in one prgrams to do this for you? That would be nice to have, something that will rip and encode it all at once.

Well, most DVD player software these days can play VOB (and IFO) files directly without the need to change file types. All I do is rip a DVD to the HDD and then watch the corresponding files from there. I think that it's the best way to go about it as 1) no loss in quality due to compression 2) no having to play around with multiple programs 3) storage space is so cheap these (still need to get another HDD!).

That being said, I don't think that PDA's are going to be as forgiving in this matter. In the case of WMP (which is what I am assuming comes on this PDA, too lazy to look it up) it can also play VOB files as long as it has an associated codec for both video and sound (such as AC3Filter). I'll happily show my ignorance in not knowing how to do something like this on WinCE (which is, again, what I am assuming comes on this PDA, could be wrong).

Maybe, just for the hell of it, try to transfer one of those file to the PDA and see if it can play it. You may be surprised. That way, you don't have to play with any more software. And, DVD Shrink can shrink the size of the movies down so you can fit more on there. Just thoughts.

edit: it looks like there is a program called AutoGK (has someone mentioned this) that will do what you are wanting to do. You still have to rip it, but it'll convert vob to avi. The only problem that I forsee here is not having the correct codec on the PDA (i.e. if you are using DivX, will the DivX codec be on the PDA?)

thank you for all the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

I got the movie into an .AVI file.

as im typing I am compressing/encoding the .AVI to a .WMV file hopefully this will take it down from 1.3gb to around 500-600mb

the quality of the .AVI is great, exactly like the DVD! The program that I use to encode the .avi to .wmv never loses quality as well, now I just have to wait 5hrs for it to encode/compress.

I see someone said go to doom9 and I'm not sure if thats what you did and used Gordian Knot, but if you did, go to autogk.com and you get the same program with less hassle because its all automatic. I tried gk from doom9 and then autogk from autogk.com and I loved the latter. So much easier than the doom9 one.

dalton said:
I see someone said go to doom9 and I'm not sure if thats what you did and used Gordian Knot, but if you did, go to autogk.com and you get the same program with less hassle because its all automatic. I tried gk from doom9 and then autogk from autogk.com and I loved the latter. So much easier than the doom9 one.

Auto Gordian Knot is the best BY FAR. You have to use DVD Decrypter with it though.

After reading the link that was posted I say this:
DVD2AVI is a frameserver that allows you to create a D2V project file for your VOB files after you have ripped them with some DVD ripper like SmartRipper. After you have ripped the files, open DVD2AVI and select the VOB files you want to convert and create a D2V project file.

After that's done, you can use TMPGEnc in order to encode the video into VCD or SVCD compliant format. Excellent and relatively easy tool to use -- must have for serious movie freaks!

So does it actually output an .AVI (ala Divx) or do you need to convert it first in another program?

Currently, I'm using Pocket DVD Wizard for my smartphone. Works excellent and out of all demo programs I tried it had the best quality. Very simple to use. The only minor gripe that I have is the lack of more robust output settings like the one below. If I do widescreen rips, then play back in fullscreen size, part of the edges are cut off. I have an SMT5600, so fullscreen is 220x176 pixels. I am hoping the next update fixes that issue. http://www.pocket-dvd-wizard.com/

This is a new program that is cheaper, and appears to have many more options to customize the output for your device. I am waiting for more time this upcoming weekend to try this demo out. http://www.handango.com/PlatformPro...&platformId=11&productType=2&productId=156901

Jeriko_Cherry said:
So does it actually output an .AVI (ala Divx) or do you need to convert it first in another program?

Yes, DVD2AVI can output a DivX .AVI file, if that is the format you select when you save.

I can't believe no one has mentioned this.

use www.eazyvcd.tk

it'll automatically run though all the steps to rip a dvd into either an mpeg1 (vcd) file or mpeg2 (svcd) file. You can even change the settings so that it burns a xvcd, making the movie into a single disc or however many you want.

Back