• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Good program to play music with

rcf1987

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2004
Messages
3,759
I just bought some hd202s and I need a good audio player that plays lots of different types of music and has lots of options like bass, treble, equalizer etc. I have been using satsuki but I don't like it that much any ideas.
 
Ive always used WMP... Im not putting down the other programs, I just never saw a reason to use them. Ive never noticed a major quality difference between any of them.

The only media player I have ever used besides WMP would be Sonique... anyone remember that?
 
Use foobar2000 and set it up to use Kernel Streaming, 24-bit output, and resampling with your Audigy 2ZS card.
 
strid3r said:
Use foobar2000 and set it up to use Kernel Streaming, 24-bit output, and resampling with your Audigy 2ZS card.


Tell me what settings to change to do this
 
The link for the ASIO plugin on that site doesnt work. is there anywhere else i can get it?
 
rcf1987 said:
Tell me what settings to change to do this

Go to File >> Preferences (this is where all the fun begins). Under Playback, there is a pull-down menu for Output data format. Set that to 24-bit fixed-point (or padded to 32-bit, try experimenting to see what sounds good for you) with the Dithering option unchecked.

Next, go down to the DSP Manager and make sure you have the Resampler (SSRC or PPHS, again you can play around with the settings here) under the Active DSPs list. Now further down in the list on the right side, click on Resampler to choose the Target sample rate. In this case, you'd want 48000Hz since you want the resampler in Foobar to do the resampling for you instead of the hardware in the Audigy.

Finally, go down the list on the left side and click on Output and choose Kernel Streaming from the pull-down menu on the right side.
 
Firecrotch said:
The link for the ASIO plugin on that site doesnt work. is there anywhere else i can get it?

Which one are you trying to download? I have no problems downloading the foobar2k plugins...

Here's the link for anyone who wants to use ASIO:
http://otachan.com/
 
Ok i downloaded the (dll) version under the foobar thing but what do i do with it? I tried putting it in the components folder and its not an optoin to select in the output choices. Also its not a .dll file. Im a noob about this stuff lol sorry
 
Firecrotch said:
Ok i downloaded the (dll) version under the foobar thing but what do i do with it? I tried putting it in the components folder and its not an optoin to select in the output choices. Also its not a .dll file. Im a noob about this stuff lol sorry

When you download the (dll) version, it should have two folders and two text files after you unzip it. Go into the bin folder and you should see three folders, normal, SSE, SSE2. Each folder contains the .dll file for ASIO, you just have to pick which one your CPU is capable of (ie. My AthlonXP is capable of SSE, but not SSE2, so I would use SSE). Copy and paste the .dll file into the components folder of your Foobar2k directory and it should become an option under Output after you restart the player.
 
Oh wow i forgot to install winrar after reformating a week back...man i feel like an idiot. thanks for the help
 
Firecrotch said:
Oh wow i forgot to install winrar after reformating a week back...man i feel like an idiot. thanks for the help

lol, happens to us all. Let us know how it works out for you.
 
strid3r said:
Go to File >> Preferences (this is where all the fun begins). Under Playback, there is a pull-down menu for Output data format. Set that to 24-bit fixed-point (or padded to 32-bit, try experimenting to see what sounds good for you) with the Dithering option unchecked.

Next, go down to the DSP Manager and make sure you have the Resampler (SSRC or PPHS, again you can play around with the settings here) under the Active DSPs list. Now further down in the list on the right side, click on Resampler to choose the Target sample rate. In this case, you'd want 48000Hz since you want the resampler in Foobar to do the resampling for you instead of the hardware in the Audigy.

Finally, go down the list on the left side and click on Output and choose Kernel Streaming from the pull-down menu on the right side.

I did this but the last one kernel streaming is not there I can only pick waveout, null output or direct sound
 
Tengis said:
Ive always used WMP... Im not putting down the other programs, I just never saw a reason to use them. Ive never noticed a major quality difference between any of them.

The only media player I have ever used besides WMP would be Sonique... anyone remember that?

I remember sonique.... i dont remember if i liked it or not..... i personally use itunes.... but winamp is a good one if you want alot of pluggins IMO
 
I can't get ASIO or Kernel to work with my foobar. Asio just says ERROR (foo_output_asio(dll)) : unsupported output data format.

KS just says ERROR (foo_out_ks) : KS output error: error opening device.
 
foobar2k here, too-- I used kernel streaming with my old card, but it doesn't function with the X-mystique.
 
m0unds said:
foobar2k here, too-- I used kernel streaming with my old card, but it doesn't function with the X-mystique.

Odd, Kernel Streaming worked with my Mystique, although the Mystique still doesn't support ASIO as far as I know.
 
If you have KS working, you don't need ASIO, being they are essentially the same thing. ASIO is a front-end for Kernal Streaming.
 
I've been using Winamp all this time. What would be the advantage of using Foobar2000 instead?
 
SkaarjMaster said:
I've been using Winamp all this time. What would be the advantage of using Foobar2000 instead?
The interface and sound quality, usually. The first is entirely subjective (I prefer Winamp), and the second is fixable with a number of plugins in Winamp. The plugins are difficult to find, but you can get a complete pack here.
The zip has

- The MAD input plugin
- The ASIO streaming output plugin
- Kernel Streaming output plugin
- HQSP Kernel streaming and resampling plugin

I've found sound quality is comparable to Foobar2000 when using these plugins in tandem. (X-Mystique, Perreaux SXH1, DT990Pro and Alessandro MS-1s).
 
Vertigo Acid said:
I use foobar2000 for everything but streaming audio, which I leave to winamp
I even do streaming with foobar. I just set up a new tab for streaming audio.
 
This is what I couldn't find:
ASIO streaming output plugin
HQSP Kernel streaming and resampling plugin

I found:
MAD Input plug-in 0.14.2b(.exe)
Kernel streaming output plugin (out_ks.dll)

I don't understand the X-Mystique, etc. part of that? Also, what's j.River Media Center (link)?
 
SkaarjMaster said:
This is what I couldn't find:
ASIO streaming output plugin
HQSP Kernel streaming and resampling plugin

I found:
MAD Input plug-in 0.14.2b(.exe)
Kernel streaming output plugin (out_ks.dll)

I don't understand the X-Mystique, etc. part of that? Also, what's j.River Media Center (link)?
The HQSP Resampling plugin is available here, and the ASIO streaming plugin (which you shouldn't need with the Kernel streaming plugin, anyway, although the ASIO does provide more options) is available here.
 
OK, so I install (or place the DLL in the right spot) all four plugins. What next? Do I activate them somehow by making them my default output or input? Right now no inputs are selected and my output seems to be Direct Sound. I guess I haven't messed with Winamp settings or plugins in quite a while. Also, I'm using Winamp 5.03. It looks like I need to upgrade to the latest. Thanks for some more help. Once I get Winamp configured correctly, I'll DL Foobar and mess with that.
 
Well, all I have to do is go to the Winamp preferences, and to the "Plugin" submenu, with the "Input" and "Output" submenus in that. In "Input", I have selected the MAD input plugin (and it's configured), and in "Output" I have the HQ Resampler selected and configured to use the Kernel_out.dll output (HQ Resampler resamples before sending the resampled data to the output plugin, you have to configure this). That should be about it.
 
What's the best way to configure those two things that need configuring? I'm sure you knew this final question was coming. :D
 
HQ resampler crashed on me once and now it doesn't work(tried reinstalling) and whenever there is a windows sound the music stutters. Though it does sound better I will stick with directsound instead.

Also the asio dll just crashes winamp on startup for me...
 
SkaarjMaster said:
What's the best way to configure those two things that need configuring? I'm sure you knew this final question was coming. :D
lol
Okay, the MAD input I have configured as a 24-bit resolution, with an output clipping sensitivity of around 60%.
HQSoft Resampler is configured to use 24-bit output, 250 units of kernel precision, a resampling rate of 44100 (although 48000 can often work with the clipping resampling on the MAD plugin, YMMV), the output plugin used is the ASIO (same as kernel_out, just more options).
ASIO is configured to have an above normal thread priority (not important these days with faster procs), a buffer size of 20, shift output channels of 0, and resample settings of "Above normal", "44100" (again, 48000 can sometimes work well) and "Top" quality.
These gave me sound that was easily comparable to Foobar2k with an interface I prefer.
I use an X-Plosion, Perreaux SXH1, DT990Pro and Alessandro MS-1s. 48000Hz resample can be iffy depending on what sort of music I'm listening to. It really spices up jazz tracks, though.
Muck with the settings yourself, because some people do not like the additional padding that a 24-bit resample provides, and it's definitely noticeable if you're audio equipment is something more than $20 speakers or cans.
 
I'm running through an Onkyo receiver these days. I'll mess with the settings and see what sounds best for me. Thanks! :)
 
I have an Audigy2 in my computer. I did all that and set the clipping and 24-bit and nothing plays. I turned clipping off and set to 16-bit and nothing played. I then set the output back to Direct Sound and my MP3s play. I set MAD back to clipping and 24-bit and MP3s still play. It seems it doesn't like the HQSoft Output. What's up with this? :confused:

.......and the times shown in the playlist seem to be 2 minutes more than the actual time of the MP3 song......um, ok, I need to double-click on the song for it to show the correct time in the playlist window, WTF?! I've upgraded to Winamp 5.21 from 5.03a. :confused:
 
Back
Top